General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck won't start

Ok I need some help I bought a 1990 Toyota pickup. We put a new battery in and it won't start when I put the key in I get the normal ding from the door being open. When I try turning it over or power to anything the truck loses all power. We had checked all the ground wires and they all checked out fine so don't know what it can be. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:16 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Has this truck ever run??

You have checked that the battery is good and is charged??

Terminals cleaned when it was installed ??

Just how did you check the grounds ??

Look and call it good or remove and clean both ends .

You don`t mention Auto or manual??

Neutral safety switch or clutch safety switch if they are not closing it will not crank

after you have checked this

measure the voltage at the starter to ground

then if that is good disconnect the wire to the starter solenoid measure that voltage with the key in the start position

If all these tests are good time to rebuild the starter .

Unless the engine is seized fast and will not move that might be a little more work
Old 03-26-2017, 02:34 PM

Sorry I left a bunch of information out. The truck was running when I went to look at it. It was running off an optima battery. Replaced the battery cause the guy was only using the optima for that one had to put it in his other truck. We replaced the grounds from the battery to the frame, and the ground from the battery to the block. Also replaced the cable ends and put new cable ends on it. Also tested the voltage for all of the wires going from battery to the grounds and to the fuse box.

the truck is manual transmission it's the 22re motor that is in the truck.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:47 PM

Update: got the truck to run it was the 80 amp inline fuse that was shot. Also had to replace a couple of wires to the battery as well.