General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sears Diehard Platinum = Odyssey

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 12:04 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm not defending Sears and/or this battery. I am not affiliated with Sears or any battery manufacturer or distributor. I was trying to get more information after your first post to help you and see if there might be another problem you hadn't considered. Please note, sometimes when people fly in to YT and their first post is a huge negative rant, the "Troll" bells start going off for the regulars. I'm not saying this is the case, merely explaining my response.

If you are looking for a solution to your starting/charging problem, then there are probably more questions that need to be answered. But based on what you wrote, I see a pattern developing that may or may not be the issue.

If you are looking for someone to agree with your disagreement in the way Sears handled your sitation, I can't help you there. From my perspective they did what they should have done: charged the battery and load tested it. If it held a charge, then the battery is considered good. That is pretty typical in the automotive industry. There is no proof that your issue is a bad battery at that point. If every battery dealer gave out a new battery every time somebody brought in a dead one regardless of test results, they'd cost $1000 each. As far as charging you $12.50, 1: that is not an unreasonable amount. 2: they didn't find fault with their product, yet took their time to test and install it for you.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:07 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm curious what the Dodge dealer would say if you asked them how long it takes your vehicle's charging system to fully charge the battery after a start in your current ambient conditions.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AGM Autocharger Issue

It is my understanding after researching these AGMs that they don't take very well to being discharged below 80%. Although Odyssey boasts tests of discharging to 10.2V for 28 days and then reviving the battery to 97% after 48 hours, I haven't heard of having a battery fully recuperate after total drainage. This doesn't mean it should be toast, just that it won't have the same AH performance.

The Sears gentleman might have been having a problem with the charger he was using. A cheap automotive charger isn't appropriate to charge an AGM, and even automatic chargers can read a battery to be 'okay' when it's not due to it's low internal resistance. It's been recommended to me to invest in a more expensive 3 phase charging system for land charging these batteries.

Odysseys are great as a starting/deep cycle battery, but if you're not using your battery to start your vehicle (dual system), I might suggest an AGM Traction Dry Cell like those from www.discover-energy.com. You lose CCA but gain in AH and deep drain recovery.

Good Luck!
Old 02-18-2009, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by jmiles82
Nothing was left on - the vehicle's charging system was generating 14.5 volts as per the dealer diagnostic. The battery is has a higher CCA rating than the stock battery. There is no optional or aftermarket equipment on the vehicle, and, I believe if you do only a small bit of research, you will find multiple articles describing the destructive plate sulfation that occurs when a non deep-cycle rated battery is allowed to discharge below 10.5 volts. The check-engine light and dealer diagnostics confirmed that operating voltage was less than 9.5VDC.
The reason I put that battery in a new vehicle was because I had replaced two Chrysler OEM batteries in one year in a 2006 Dodge Charger SRT8 (I don't drive much - probably about 5-10 miles//trip 2-3 times a week) and had very low confidence in the OEM Chrysler battery. The Diehard "Platinum" battery is supposed to go for "two years" without being started and still start the vehicle. And as for my own curiosity - why are you defending Sears and this battery? - are you a Sears representative? The issue here is how Sears responded to my discharged and potentially comprimised battery - ie charging me $12.50 to charge it for an hour and refusing to replace it until it would no longer hold a charge - which could potentially place me in an expensive and unnecessary stranded condition.
the common theme in this post is dont buy any chrysler product. i havent know anyone that owns one and doesnt have troubles with them.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, we are saying the Odysessy doesnt do that well when continously deep cycled below 10.2V?

That would have to be pretty low though right? I have an odyssesy PC1700 in my truck but--have never taken it down to 10.2 volts (that would take a little while ). I think, overall, it would probably be better to have a larger Deep Cycle battery then than regular starting battery?

However..i have left lights on and ran it taken it down pretty good and didnt have problems. The other guy with the Chrysler products sounds like he is having a problem not associated with batteries.

So whats the deal with the DISCOVERY batteries?
Old 03-09-2010, 09:38 PM

The odessy, die hard platinum, stinger and a few others are manufactured by EnerSys inc. case color and lables are specified by seller by EnerSys prior to shipment. And are all acid starved sealed units the same technology is used in batteries for military subs, hummves', and abrams m1 tanks

http://www.enersys.com/
Old 03-09-2010, 09:48 PM

I personally use the armasafe PN: 9750N7025 and its good to run rv single handedly.

http://www.enersys.com/defense/docum...ure%202009.pdf