General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much overhead on a 60-amp 22RE?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 10:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
How much overhead on a 60-amp 22RE?

I'm looking at doing some electrical upgrades soon, and I don't want to risk overloading the alternator. I was wondering just how much amperage is safely available for additional accessories. I'm upgrading the audio system, which includes a 300-watt amplifier (20 amps) , and I'd like to add in heated seats, which I've read are 7.5-10 amps each. The only other thing I have on there is a 120 watt led light bar, which uses about 8 amps when it's on.

Last edited by Vole; 11-20-2017 at 10:11 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:09 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Vole
I'm looking at doing some electrical upgrades soon, and I don't want to risk overloading the alternator. I was wondering just how much amperage is safely available for additional accessories. I'm upgrading the audio system, which includes a 300-watt amplifier (20 amps) , and I'd like to add in heated seats, which I've read are 7.5-10 amps each. The only other thing I have on there is a 120 watt led light bar, which uses about 8 amps when it's on.
if I remember correctly answer is inYT faqs or pirate faqs. It’s not much if memory serves you’ll be over taxing alt. You also need to consider the charging curve of your alt and what RPM range you want it to perform at. Also look at a big 3 upgrade but technically should be called a big 4 upgrade. I’ve stepped up alt a couple times. But not a big fan of the 1-wire setup; I like the charging light to function. Also the speed an alt turns effects is charge at idle but need to figure max speed as over spinning an alt is bad.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:12 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
one thing to do is not turn all that crap on at once.
I converted every bulb on my 81 including the headlights to LED, it helped to keep the alternator happy. I have done the same thing with the exception of the dash (it will get done) with the same goal in mind

you could do a GM CS130 alternator pretty easily

or this
http://www.lceperformance.com/High-O...-p/1080005.htm