General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am1 and am2 fuses blown 84 pickup

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am1 and am2 fuses blown 84 pickup

On a road trip right now in Toyota motorhome. While driving, 1984 Toyota pickup died (carbureted, manual trans). Found the 30amp AM2 fuse blew as did the 15 amp cig lighter fuse in the panel under the drivers side dash. Replaced the fuse and fuseable link. Searched for a short under the hood. Cleaned up and organized the wires under the hood. Took it to a mechanic. Computer said alternator was fine, and everything else was ok. Did fine for another 80 miles. Then lost all electronics in the cab and the air conditioning. But the engine didn't stop. I was able to make it to a rest stop. Once I turned the ignition off, it would not restart. Found the AM1 fuse was blown and the cig lighter 15amp was blown again. The diagram of the fuse box shows the AM1 fuse is 40 amps but mine was a 60 amp fuse. Used some wire connector and a piece of wire to make a jumper for the fuse. Truck started. Turned AC on, fuse blew again. I have no idea how to troubleshoot from here. I've looked for a shorted wire everywhere...well, everywhere I can think to look. Any advice?
Old 06-17-2017, 02:52 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just what are you working on a 84 Toyota Pick up you drag along to drive when the Motor Home is parked??

Then you might be calling the Motor Home on a 84 Toyota pick up Chassis a pick up.

Is there any Schematics to what was added when the Motor home was built .

No telling just what is added to any of the circuits

Could be anything from a loose connection to a dead short

Is this a add on Ac system self contained not a engine driven compressor??

If turning the AC on caused the fuse to open I would start there Compressor clutch circuit or motor drawing to much Current

Blower Motor circuit

It comes down to just what AC system you have how to trouble shoot.

Not really a good idea to be bypassing circuit protection