General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 4runner indicator issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 02:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 4runner indicator issue

hi all, ive got a 92 4runner. i just installed some replacement led indicators into my tjm bull bar, i had one blown globe in the original tjm housing which causes the fast flashing indicator syndrome, but when i tried to pull it apart to replace the globe, the whole thing fell apart due to being brittle from age. i decided to go with $30 of ebay leds over $80 of tjm replacement indicators...

long story short, i installed the leds, still had fast flashing (i thought they may have had resistors built into them, but no such luck) anyway, aside from waiting 2 weeks for my fleabay resistors to arrive, i though i might get around the lack of resistance by getting the upper indicators working. i pulled them out to find both globes r blown, so i replaced the globes, but they still do not work, every other indicator on the car works, just not the ones next to the headlights. i had a look at the wiring as far as i could c until the loom disappears into the inner body panels. it all looks original, like the installers didnt cut or splice anything, no damage anywhere (but the original bumper had lower indicators anyway so i assume they would just use the wiring harness for that).

ive checked the fuses, hazard lights work (apart from the 2 front upper indicators)

is there a plug somewhere that may have simply been unplugged by the installer of the bullbar because the indicator cant really be seen through the bullbar, hence its not needed?

ideas where to start fellas?

Edit: facepalm...nevermind, it turns out theyre the park lamps hahahaha. No wonder they dont flash with the indicators. Ill leave this up for people to have a giggle at. Sheesh...now ive gota go spend another $4 on clear park globes instead of the amber ones i just bought( and no i couldnt tell they were clear globes to begin with and put 2+2 together to work out they were park lights because they were completely black)...but still, guess i should have noticed they didnt have an orange tinge to them.

Maybe ill rewire them to be indicators until my resistors arrive, just as a quick fix

Last edited by Turtl3; 05-02-2016 at 04:38 AM.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Quicker fix for fast flash from using leds is to use a relay that doesn't increase flash rate when the resistance of the circuit changes.

Should be able to get that relay anywhere.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:26 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

It is not a Relay It is the flasher The Napa one for the Tacoma is EP-35L

Not sure if that will work in the 92
Old 05-02-2016, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wyoming9
It is not a Relay It is the flasher The Napa one for the Tacoma is EP-35L

Not sure if that will work in the 92
Yeah i thort that the 4runners had a weird relay/flasher unit built/soldered into the fuse panel? Or maybe im confusing that with the horn relay in the bcm
Old 05-02-2016, 11:40 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

No it is just a plug in relay .

How else would you change it if it failed

The EWD shows it up to the left of the steering column