General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

86 Toyota 4runner electrical problem plz help

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 Toyota 4runner electrical problem plz help

So im a newb here but I've been visiting this site for quite some time and getting help with past issues. Thanks everyone for that, my problem today I need help with. I have a 1986 Toyota 4runner dlx model with the 22re. This morning I drove to work, parked for a minute and then climbed back in to leave. When I went to crank the Yota it acted like the battery was dead but that couldn't have been, then smoke started coming from behind the dash. I panicked, quit trying to crank it and opened the hood. It smelt like burning wires. When I inspected under the hood all my wiring and ground wire locations were in good shape and not burned up. I went back to crank it and it started right up. When I left everything seemed fine but now I have a bad hesitation while driving down the road and some power loss. I've already taken the complete dash out and checked for burned wiring and I don't see any. On closer inspection I found that the clip with 2 wires running to it, by the starter was exposed(both wires showing copper) I fixed that but I still have the hesitation. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?? This is my daily driver and I need it back on the road asap! Any help would be greatly appreciated. My only idea is, if it's possible could I have shorted my coil out??

Last edited by Jcon; 05-08-2015 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:36 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

If you saw smoke and it smelled like burning wire insulation .

Something melted.

were the wires on the starter melted perhaps that is what caused the smoke and smell??

If you coil was shorted or open it would not run at all.

Was the hesitation always there you just notice it now . Because of the little smoke.

Inspect the ground wires don`t just look and call it good

Back to the basics spark and fuel
Old 05-09-2015, 06:59 AM

No I don't think it was the starter, the smoke came from inside the truck. I spent last night examining ask the wires and I found a couple that were a little brown. It was a white wire with a black stripe, also had little red marks on it but that was the only one I found in bad damage. As far as the hesitation it wasn't there before. This is a very noticeable hesitation. It was cruising at 80mph smooth and the I couldn't get past 65 with it thinking this truck is about to stall on me. I'm gonna check all the grounds closer, but first I'm gonna see if the wires I fixed helped any. It was super late when I fixed it and I don't think the neighbors would have appreciated me revving the engine up lol. Whatever happened seems to have caused the hesitation.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:38 AM

My ignition switch is old and loose, do you think the problem could be there? Also I don't know if it's a huge coincidence, but I filled up at a gas station I never have before. Knowing my luck I probably got bad gas the same day my wires melt down. I checked all the grounds thoroughly and they are in good shape. The wire I fixed runs to 2-3 of the grounds. I did a full tune up back in January but I guess I can check my plugs and cap
Old 05-09-2015, 10:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You need to look for melted wires. Smoke "could" have been from ecu in the left kick panel. Strong flash light and dig.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by skypilot
You need to look for melted wires. Smoke "could" have been from ecu in the left kick panel. Strong flash light and dig.
I found what I believe was a ground burned up. The smoke came from dead center on the dash. I also checked all the grounds and ecu. I still have the hesitation/rough idle at higher rpms. I think it may have burned up a sensor, idk.. I checked for to ask the plugs and that was good. Checked for foul plugs and that was also good. Thanks for the reply
Old 05-09-2015, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
If you saw smoke and it smelled like burning wire insulation .

Something melted.

were the wires on the starter melted perhaps that is what caused the smoke and smell??

Was the hesitation always there you just notice it now . Because of the little smoke.

Inspect the ground wires don`t just look and call it good

Back to the basics spark and fuel
Thanks for the advice, I'm still trying to figure out the problem
If you coil was shorted or open it would not run at all.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There is a ground wire on the back of the cyl head that goes to the center of the firewall. Its a critical ground wire for the ECU.

Maybe it was the fan circuit, or the fan speed resistor pack.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by skypilot
There is a ground wire on the back of the cyl head that goes to the center of the firewall. Its a critical ground wire for the ECU.

Maybe it was the fan circuit, or the fan speed resistor pack.
I'll check that to be on the safe side, I felt like it had something to do with the tps cause I had to replace it several years ago and the way it was running was similar. I tested the ohms and it was bad according to the manual. I just bought a new one and hopefully this will fix the problem. Thanks for your help it has been greatly appreciated. I'll update one the truck is going...or not lol hopefully going I need it Monday
Old 05-10-2015, 12:22 PM

Well I installed the new tps and set it within spec but it still does the sputtering at full throttle... Idk what to do..
Old 05-10-2015, 01:26 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Might have caused a spike to the ECU.

Then in checking things you might have knocked something loose.

You need to figure what caused the problem and what circuits are connected to that ground that melted.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Might have caused a spike to the ECU.

Then in checking things you might have knocked something loose.

You need to figure what caused the problem and what circuits are connected to that ground that melted.
good point I'll check the diagrams and see what was connected, I know one end of it runs to the ignition switch but not sure where else it goes. Nothing knocked loose, I've looked over everything several times. Thanks for the input, I appreciate the help
Old 05-10-2015, 09:28 PM

So update, I'm still trying to fix the problem but I tested the MAF unit and found the readings fir Vs and E2 around 2700ohms and the manual stated it should be between 20-400 ohms. I don't know exactly what that past of the unit does but it was on the same ground and isn't properly working so I'm gonna fix it. I'm starting to believe this short fried mist my sensors.. smfh