Alarm Systems Discussion related to installation, diagnostics, and purchasing of alarm systems

Mysterious black box

Old 09-06-2008, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mysterious black box

My battery was recently drained and when I put a fresh battery in the car still wouldnt start.

I figured it was probably a killswitch somewhere in the car because I have a strange red LED on the dash, and when I try to turn the car the dash lights start blinking and the car makes an alarm sound like a seatbelt warning.

So I discovered the steering column has no screw in it anymore and there is a mysterious black box inside. This black box has a relay inside that I can hear clicking in time with the alarm. It is definitely cutting the engine, what do I do?
Old 09-06-2008, 11:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There should be a switch somewhere under the dash that will cut it... I just found the one in my truck a couple months ago, and I have had it for 8 years. My black box is under the drivers seat tho, so it might be different than yours.
Mine disabled itself after getting it stuck in windshield deep water...lol
Old 09-06-2008, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found the killswitch, but it had been disconnected from the box anyways... I tried tying the wires together, but to no avail.

Any other ideas? I am really tight on money so taking it in to get the system removed is the last resort.

Sadly, there are no markings on the box to describe who manufactures it, or what model it is... I'm thinking when I go home tonight I'll open it up and look for some info on the circuit board.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What model, year rig u got? If it was a system installed by the dealer...goodluck gettin any info on it...