General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

What is it that you just can't figure out with your rig? or can't fix

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 11:27 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by keithguts
Maby you can spray them with WD-40 that helped out my friends rig.
i hit my bushings and shackles with silicone spray about every week...it works for a day or so but in the case of last time, it made it worse. the most sound is coming from where my shackles attach to the frame where its just metal washers and bolts

EDIT: i deally i would get new bushings since im sure mine are crap but i dont have time for a job that big yet. i would also put the anti friction pads between the leafs but as far as where they attach to the frame, im out of ideas to reduce the metal on metal rubbing

Last edited by drguitarum2005; 12-28-2006 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:37 AM

the chattering sound from my engine bay!
Old 12-28-2006, 11:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by drguitarum2005
i hit my bushings and shackles with silicone spray about every week...it works for a day or so but in the case of last time, it made it worse. the most sound is coming from where my shackles attach to the frame where its just metal washers and bolts

EDIT: i deally i would get new bushings since im sure mine are crap but i dont have time for a job that big yet. i would also put the anti friction pads between the leafs but as far as where they attach to the frame, im out of ideas to reduce the metal on metal rubbing
Have you ever tried bearing grese?
Old 12-28-2006, 12:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
my shocks are trashed cause they have 141k miles on them rides like a dump truck
Old 12-28-2006, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Elton
my shocks are trashed cause they have 141k miles on them rides like a dump truck
Maby you should get new ones.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by drguitarum2005

Spray Graphite. and LOTS OF IT!
Old 12-28-2006, 01:40 PM

OK I have a really big problem. All my eletc. Locks work great except for the frount passanger door. It will not lock at the same time with the others, and will not open with the others.. The only way it works is for me to push it up and down with my hand. When I press the button, it trys to go down or up, but will not. Any Idears?
Old 12-28-2006, 04:44 PM

either lube the door latch from the inside, or it needs a new actuator. not cheap!!
Old 12-28-2006, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by CJM
I may not have a runner or truck of this vintage, but I couldnt help but add that my brakes just dont work right. You hit the brakes hard and it pulls and locks on the passenger front of my T100. I finally gave up with my mechanic, yota hadnt a clue and wanted to replace the rotors and I am gonna work on it myself this weekend.
try flushing the brake fluid. mine would squik after a braking because the calipers would slightly lock up. flushed all the brake fluid w/ new and problem solved. old fluid builds up moisture and contaminates witch will interfier w/ the brake pistons.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:50 PM

i have a rattle under the dash on drivers side that drives me !@#$ing crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-28-2006, 05:01 PM

sweet thread. i have heard that you can cut up strips of plastic and insert them between the leafs to cut out the squeaking?
i pulled all that plastic junk out of the back of my 4runner, it's trash, loud trash. i have a lot more cargo space without it. i really plan on eventually(if i ever get all the real bugs worked out) fabing my own custom panels for the cargo area.
my big problem right know is my auto tranny. i have the no downshift problem and have narrowed the problem down to either a short or open in my IDL circuit between the tps, ect, and ecu. bad voltage signals. ?????
Old 12-28-2006, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Angus1
i think he means the "locking clit"
Good thing they don't have teeth :}
Old 12-28-2006, 08:18 PM
Dan

Any thoughts; hard problem

I've brought my truck to the dealership and had a Toyota tech look at it on two differnet occassions.

'95 p/u w/22re

The problem is that sometimes it doesn't start, cranks fine, has good compression, runs fine once it's started, never stalls, but doesn't always start right away
The symptoms are similar to a bad fuel pump check valve, but the problem occurs all the time and is unrelated to when the car has sat and the line could have lost pressure. The fuel pump is also on when the key is in "on", piggy backed throught he diag box, I've tried to let the pump run for a couple seconds before cranking but it didn't make a difference.

The problem happened after the head was rebuilt

My guess is that it's electronic, the dealership told me it was the Mass Air Flow, I replaced it with a used unit and there was no change at all, the new MAF is still in the truck.

The truck has never let me down but on cold days I get a little nervous that i may not get to work, and half the time it starts up ont he first or second crank

It's been this way for a couple years now, I've gotten used to it but can't really sell the truck the way it is.

Any suggestions? I have a new feul pump with check valve to install but I don't think it's going to change anything, my gut feeling it that the problem is under the hood
Old 12-28-2006, 08:30 PM

What I can't and probably 1,000 other members can't figure out is why the 3VZ sucks so much gas for a wimpy, small motor. Other than that I'm good

James
Old 12-28-2006, 08:35 PM
Contributing Member

Since day one of owning my 4Runner I have always noticed that it sounds like my engine gurgles a little...
Stepdads dosen't do that...
Thought it might have been to much fuel or not enough air...

Put a K&N in...
That stopped it for about a month...
Then it came back...
Did the deck plate...
Went away for a month...
Then it came back...
Did the ISR mod...
Went away for a month...
Back again but only notice it when the window is open and I am next to a highway divider....
My olds started doing that in it's last couple of months...
It runs fine, i just feel like i might be flooding a piston or two sometimes at lower idles or lower rpms when driving...
Old 12-28-2006, 09:39 PM

my rear window will not come down unless I move it down with the key from the outside first if I leave it up with a 1 inch gap I can open and close it from the inside. but if I close it all the way I have to get out and lower it again for it to work.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:40 PM
Contributing Member

Can't figure out why the ride is so bumpy with square wheels and tires...
Old 12-29-2006, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by JamesD
What I can't and probably 1,000 other members can't figure out is why the 3VZ sucks so much gas for a wimpy, small motor. Other than that I'm good

James
I have to agree with this. I love my 3.0 but seems to use alot of gass. I'm wondering if it is the 31" tires I'm running.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:32 AM

did the sr5 guage swap and the oil pressure and engine temp are all nutty, did the sending unit swap first so that's not it.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by sdstud212001
did the sr5 guage swap and the oil pressure and engine temp are all nutty, did the sending unit swap first so that's not it.
Thats not it you say. What is not it??

Quick Reply: What is it that you just can't figure out with your rig? or can't fix