General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Is this welder good enough?

Old 12-24-2017, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this welder good enough?

I have a 90' 4runner. I mainly want to repair the body rust and roll over damage which I know this welder can handle. But say I want to SAS it, or patch up some frame rust. Will this welder be good enough for those bigger tasks?

Here is the welder http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ma...html#Questions It's going on sale for $300 on boxing day and will come with a decent helmet and a welding cart.

It doesn't really list the specs in the link but I found them:

Power Supply: 1ph 120V 60hz
No Load Voltage: 30V
Output Range: 35-80A (peak 130A)
Duty: 20% @ 80A
Wire Diameter: 0.023, .030, .035

I read in the reviews that it can weld up to 5/32" mild steel. So how thick are the frame rails in our trucks?? Even if it's a little under powered, would multiple passes solve that problem??

This would be my first welder which is why I'm looking ont he cheaper side for now. I'll also be working outdoors on a gravel driveway and I live in a bad area so don't want to spend too much on something that might get bitten up a bit or even stolen.

Last edited by mattyboi; 12-24-2017 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-25-2017, 01:15 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

If the output of the welder is as stated it should be able to handle what you want.

As this is your first machine does that mean you have prior experience ??

Using a high end welder at work then trying to weld with something like this can be real frustrating.

Good luck
Old 12-25-2017, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
If the output of the welder is as stated it should be able to handle what you want.

As this is your first machine does that mean you have prior experience ??

Using a high end welder at work then trying to weld with something like this can be real frustrating.

Good luck
Yes I do have some experience with higher end industrial stuff but we weld in less ideal conditions. Over painted rusted metal and even in all outdoor weather conditions. Just the railway of doing things lol
Old 12-25-2017, 08:22 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Then you should feel right at home working on your vehicles .

Out of position seldom being comfortable .

Output wise think of being used to 500 horse power then the same vehicle is now down rated to 100 horse power .

Like I said it gets frustrating at times.

20% duty cycle 2 minutes Arc time out of every 10 minutes sure you can exceed the duty cycle hoping every time won`t be the last

Dedicated 20 amp branch circuit even then depending on the Electrical load output tends to change

This is hoping it works right out of the box
Old 12-25-2017, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Then you should feel right at home working on your vehicles .

Out of position seldom being comfortable .

Output wise think of being used to 500 horse power then the same vehicle is now down rated to 100 horse power .

Like I said it gets frustrating at times.

20% duty cycle 2 minutes Arc time out of every 10 minutes sure you can exceed the duty cycle hoping every time won`t be the last

Dedicated 20 amp branch circuit even then depending on the Electrical load output tends to change

This is hoping it works right out of the box
I live in an old home so hopefully the outlets can handle this thing! haha Should be fine for the body work atleast. If it's not getting enough penetration on the bigger jobs (due to the old electrical outlets) I can just bring it to a friends shop.

I'll be working slow and taking my time so duty cycle shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited by mattyboi; 12-25-2017 at 03:30 PM.