General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Tow Strap

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 08:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ocdropzone

If you have to use a chain--open your hood, might save a windshield and other personal bodily harm
And you may cost yourself a new radiator, air filter, valve cover, battery, hose, etc. But I guess in the end its much safer.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:39 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by rowdy235
And you may cost yourself a new radiator, air filter, valve cover, battery, hose, etc. But I guess in the end its much safer.
true, but I have seen people on runs putting their hood up when winching it seems a good safety technique. I would rather have to replace a hood than drive home with a busted windshield. A jacket or blanket over the cable as mentioned is a good idea..
Not my picture but an example:

Warn guide to winch safety
I used to jump out of planes and helocopters for a living, maybe i am a little paranoid about safety...
Old 03-15-2008, 10:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
no matter wat im doing winching or pulling i always throw something over my selected tow strap, chain, or winch line, like my heavy hunting jacket, and when i winch i put my hood up, i would rather replace my hood than my face. or if im pulling someone out there is usually bystanders and i dont want to hurt anyone, just try to keep it safe.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Hi Lift videos on Youtube suggest that chain is pretty safe stuff, as when it snaps, it simply falls to the ground. I don't think chain is elastic enough to store enough energy to snap back.

Anyone actually see a chain whip back like a bungee.

I suppose if i'm wrong, its ok to bungee jump with 3/8" chain???
Old 03-15-2008, 10:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
true they do fall to the ground, but wat about the link in the chain that flys off, they have enough power behind them to do a good number on someones skull
Old 03-16-2008, 09:06 AM

I know noone has mentioned it yet, except for when winching. Cable is the most dangerous. The way it recoils and "flys" around. Straps are probably the safest, but also the weakest option (assuming you use heavy enough chain or cable). I like the Hood up when winching as well as putting somthing on the cable to dampen the recoil if it does give.
When pulling, make sure you know what your pulling and make the decision of what to use accordingly (ie. Strap vs. chain)

Personally, I like to carry a 30'x3" 30,000lbs strap (you can always double it for a shorter pull), some chain a couple shackles, my hi-lift and other assorted winching gear (including gloves). Also don't forget when winching, don't have your hand in the glove or whatever your guiding the cable with.

The biggest thing with straps is keep them clean, dry and uncut. This will dramaticly increase their life span.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt16
The Hi Lift videos on Youtube suggest that chain is pretty safe stuff, as when it snaps, it simply falls to the ground. I don't think chain is elastic enough to store enough energy to snap back.

Anyone actually see a chain whip back like a bungee.

I suppose if i'm wrong, its ok to bungee jump with 3/8" chain???

You are right, using a chain is safe.

A lot of people will tell you to not use a chain, because it can be unsafe in certain circumstances, such as using a chain connected to a strap or cable. Then you have the ingredients for a lethal sling-shot.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:39 AM

I like that, "A lethal Sling Shot" lol
Old 03-19-2008, 07:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by grant526
I like that, "A lethal Sling Shot" lol

I know it sounds funny......but I know someone that was killed by a clevis through the back of their head....pretty serious stuff!
Old 03-19-2008, 08:10 AM

Yeah? Someone screwed up pretty bad there! But in all honesty, chains will fall to the ground & it's the combination of chains,cable,straps,ropes that cause the trouble as the above poster said. Of course they will snap back a little but no where near what all the rest will; chains are just bad about ripping off vehicle parts & binding if they're used improperly.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
....nuff said:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2rYiPm6eedQ

I use a 2"x30ft princess auto special.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:13 AM

That didn't look like a chain to me, (snatching with a chain is pretty stupid too). Not saying they can't go flying; especially the tiny, springy ones but I have never in my life had one break & the ones that slipped off due to poor attachment just slinked back on themselves & fell to the ground within a couple feet. Anything including a tow strap can break & hurt someone if used improperly.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like this one

youtube vid
Old 03-21-2008, 12:38 PM

Holy crap that guy does not love his ride. Some people never grow out of the ten foot tall and bullet proof stage & don't know the theory behind "work smarter not harder"
Old 03-23-2008, 07:50 AM

Sometimes it isn't a bad idea to use more than one strap! But if you do, you should also increase the number of attachment points. Don't put them both on the same two shackles.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:42 AM
BAZ

I have a 2x30" strap but have yet to use it. What do you guys with no rear bumpers or hitch do when trying to pull?
Old 03-23-2008, 08:46 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by BAZ
I have a 2x30" strap but have yet to use it. What do you guys with no rear bumpers or hitch do when trying to pull?

Add tow hooks front and rear
Old 03-23-2008, 09:50 AM

Build a bumper with a hitch.
That's what I would do anyway. But I have this problem of wanting to tow boats and other toys once in a while.

Like ocdropzone said, install some tow hooks on both ends. Or go with the Shackle mounts, kinda like you see on the bumpers of Hummers, H1 and H2.
If you look around, there are lots of options, find one you like and do it.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:59 PM
BAZ

Thanks for the responses guys, Once the funds permit I will be buying a Marlin Crawler bumper but for the moment, has anyone gotten front tow hooks and attatched them to the frame somehow?
Old 03-23-2008, 02:57 PM

If you pick up a big shackle from the hardware store, you can probably use it with the step bumper. I've seen guys take a big shackle and put it inplace of a trailer ball on the stock bumper.
Keep in mind the stock bumper is not as strong as an aftermarket with hitch, but it will do most of what you'll ever want or need to to. The most important thing to keep inmind with this is DON'T Snap (or Snatch) with it. The stock bumper won't take the impact that a well built aftermarket will. Just pull nice and gently. I try to live by this anyway

Hope you never need the strap to get your truck out, just to pull others!! lol

Quick Reply: Tow Strap