General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Previous Owner Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 07:24 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Previous Owner Issues

Ok everyone; this is where I am now. (it’s long just read on) I just want to share some of my new finds...As some of you folks know I have had some issues with this blasted knock sensor and it has been a real PITA for quite a while. I have also had fuel pump issues, the old girl just died on me one night. So here are some of my finds and thoughts about previous owners...

The last 2 issues I have had were direct relation to the PO and his bad wiring skills. As for the fuel pump the wire broke where he had spliced it with a butt connector... That took about 3 hours to find after testing with a new fuel pump. Luckily before I pulled the old (working) one. The knock sensor was the same...I thought I had a bad one a few months ago (code 52), went to ebay replaced all was well for 4 months or so. Then I ebayed another, worked for a wee bit then another 52. Now I can't imagine that 3 sensors were bad so I did some more looking around and low and behold another butt connector with corroded wires. Fixed that and still had code 52, tried unplugging the sensor wire on a hot engine (as the oil filter burnt through my hand) and the wire came out of the plug. I did not have a connector for this so I pulled out the lil metal piece and tossed in the wire. All is well!!!! Reset the timing and she is even better than before!!!

So with all this (maybe a bit painful to read) I have come up with this. We probably are not the first ones to own these vehicles; we definitely are not the first to work on them. If you are having some strange issues check all the wires related and trace them as far as possible and find all the splices and be sure they are good. I have fought and fought and fought with this damn sensor and now I have an extra fuel pump and purchased 2 knock sensors all because some @$$ can't wire.

These are my thoughts and I'm done with this rant...
Good day to all and I hope I have saved someone some hair loss...

Old 07-12-2009, 08:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you for that. Sound advice.

Hope you feel better.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:06 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
I do feel better...I just hope this helps someone out. Who would have thought that the wires for the knock sensor or the fuel pump were spliced. Certainly no me...
Old 07-13-2009, 08:22 AM
T4L

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad it was resolved. Many are not fortunate enough to ever find the real problem.