General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic
Old 02-09-2016, 04:51 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Toyota 4Runner Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

MODIFICATIONS that you regret?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WATRD
Personally, my advice for anyone considering nerf bars, would be to save the money and find a set of sliders that you find cosmetically pleasing, even if that means having them made to your specs. Then have them powder coated or chromed or whatever suits you.

Nerfs don't really offer ANY protection. They even get dinged by shopping carts. They are ornamental steps only, whereas a good set of sliders can do EVERYTHING nerfs can, while offering a significant level of protection and frame stiffening as well.
x2

Mine would be that set of aluminum nerf bars I bought for my Jeep Cherokee when the dealership discontinued the Cherokee and had all aftermarket stuff marked down for liquidation. They got dinged, scraped and dented and came off less than one year later for some real rock sliders.

Kevin
Old 06-27-2007, 12:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I regret doing a 4" IFS lift. I should have just gone solid axle from the beginning and then been done with it. May still do the full sas when I get the money.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:29 PM

Long rocker switch for fog lights (broke it off with my knee)

Used revtek lift w/ shocks (one shock is blown)

Not replacing the wiper blade sooner (slight scratch in windshield)

Cheap fog lights (condensation in the lens)
Old 06-27-2007, 01:07 PM

Whats regrettable about the K&N filter? I was thinking of getting one of those or a Trueflow. Something I should know?
Old 06-27-2007, 01:11 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
i regret doing all the wiring ive done (lights, cb radio, stereo, etc) in such a half-assed fashion. ive got electrical tape and butt connectors and unsoldered terminals right and left along with a rats nest of wires under my center console. one day ill go back and solder all connections and put heatshrink around them and hide them all better.

not to mention all my wires are black and unlabeled so it makes tracing their function very hard when i have a problem
Old 06-27-2007, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Henrythewound
Whats regrettable about the K&N filter? I was thinking of getting one of those or a Trueflow. Something I should know?
K&N is Gauze and can clog easily. Tru Flo is a great product. Tru flo is foam and doesn't clog as easily. Buy it here:

http://www.burtmanindustries.com/zoo..._truflo_95u_v6
Old 06-27-2007, 02:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
K&N filter, didn't do anything.
Jacobs Ignition pack and wires - gave me 1 mpg gain for over $200.
Not getting a 4runner with 31's as OE tires. Mine came with 225's.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:53 PM

Unhappy

i have the rare 225 stock tire so it came with 390's its a dog i wish i looked into it before i bought it ... im goin with 456 . i just need to know who makes the best ring and pinion HELP...
Old 06-27-2007, 04:46 PM
Contributing Member

As embarrassing as it is to admit... I regret getting suckered into buying a Helix Power Tower. Nothing but a nice looking cup holder. (That and it made my engine whistle sorta funny...)

Oh yeah, and the K&N TRD filter I had.

Other than that, no regrets, other than not having enough time to wheel as much as I would like....
Old 06-27-2007, 04:52 PM
Contributing Member

Brushguards suck
Old 06-27-2007, 04:58 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
My 26mm downey T-bars.

They do limit travel, but the ride is actually nice since I have that ARB bumper and winch... so maybe it's not *really* a regret...

Also the AAL rear springs. It would be better to have just gotten a set of nice OME leaf springs instead. Might still do that in the distant future.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CASTAIC 4RUNNER
i have the rare 225 stock tire so it came with 390's its a dog i wish i looked into it before i bought it ... im goin with 456 . i just need to know who makes the best ring and pinion HELP...
Go to this page for the dirt on R&P's http://www.gearinstalls.com/links.htm

Make sure you get em cryo-treated. It is worth the extra 40 bones for 30% increse in strength! "Zuk" runs that page so PM him directly too - as he is on here a lot!
Old 06-27-2007, 06:16 PM
Contributing Member

I regret not buying my current 85 sooner !

I had fun with the 2nd generation but I also repaired the engine once and had to replace it 6 months later. ( it did have 240,000 miles on it though )The K&N mod does nothing / silver star's are expensive headlights that last 1 year if your lucky / EZ locker works but is quirky as a daily driver - Lockers need to be selectable for a daily driver.

Listen to the old guy's on the board - the most important mods for off-roading are unseen. lockers, protection, gear ratio are where it's at.

There is also such a thing as lifting to high - stay as low as possible
A top heavy rig is DANGEROUS

Old 06-27-2007, 06:25 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My ONLY regret (and a super minor one at that) is not doing a bodylift before I did all the armor. Now if I want to do a 3.4 swap, it's gonna be a PITA.

My approach was taller tires, armor, lockers/gears and it's worked out FANTASTICALLY.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:00 PM

my 5runners still growing on me. i haven't really had it long enough to do anything i REALLY regret yet, but i should have found a 4x4, I'm glad I got the 3.4, though i'd prefer the v8 (maybe swap in an LS2). and I looked and couldn't find 1 5-speed until i found yotatech...

I regret getting autozone axle seals. I shouldn't have drilled my intake box like i did (but i love the sound). I definately shouldn't get those 22's ui'm wanting...i'm sure i'll regret that.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Doc279
There is also such a thing as lifting to high - stay as low as possible
A top heavy rig is DANGEROUS
Now that's the truth! With the heavy as hell 2nd gen and a super flexy back (coils).. well it made it REAL easy to roll.... (I really should have had limiting straps)

Old 06-27-2007, 10:50 PM
Banned for being an asshat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Since there's always some science and tech involved in wheeling...

In the glorious words of a NASA/BOEING Scientist I know:

No mistakes, or regrets, ever.
Just temporary setbacks, or failed attempts at success.
Learn and it'll never be either.

Originally Posted by Castaic
3.90's...
Gotta agree with you there, at least it's a manual though, and hopefully you don't have the 3 fin 3rd like I do. Next time, 4wd, 3.4, correct gearing. HMMM, I could always pull a Rick and convert it to 4WD/SFA and toss in the 3.4. Hee-Hee-Hee!!

(Yes guys, she's in the room, and is rolling her eyes, )

Not looking at the board closer while gathering info on my buy.
(Thanks everyone for the info, hopefully the "Late 95's" are indeed safe and the H/G issue will never appear. I'll never have either as long as there's members/friends here....awwwwwwwww )

*Note to self, other was not showing the wife Molly's posts and having her talk with her, so as to (hopefully) let Molly convince her how fun wheeling is. She probably would've been OK with the extra 4k I was willing to spend afterall, rather than hindsight. Then again, she did read Molly's posts, and first expense option is still a cage or sliders to double as steps* if I do anything more.
Thanks!!

So that smile is indeed regret? Look at the positive side, you came out of it unhurt(?if I remember the post) and got over your "First Crumpled Panel".

I also "want" enough luxury income and time to pull off the rig I really want, for now...

*I'll lower the angle on the sliders probably about 7 degrees, that or fab up a sort-of latch in step. Where's Wabbit with the cool tech bit "Wow I should've thought of that"??

Last edited by Four Runner; 06-27-2007 at 11:03 PM.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I regret NOT buying that rolled Lexus LX. It had a V8, and I had the $800 they wanted for it. But thats not a mod so, I regret buying All terrains this time around. Looks like it'll be another 15,000+ miles before I get Mud terrains. Maybe I'll run em just a little under inflated to speed up the process.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would have to say I regret my bracket lift. I love the height difference it made, but it actually made my ground clearence worse in some areas (front diff) and the rear blocks are ugly. I should've saved my money and put it towards gears, add-a-leafs and SAS.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by stormin94
I regret NOT buying that rolled Lexus LX. It had a V8, and I had the $800 they wanted for it. But thats not a mod so, I regret buying All terrains this time around. Looks like it'll be another 15,000+ miles before I get Mud terrains. Maybe I'll run em just a little under inflated to speed up the process.
do burnouts & post pics!!

Quick Reply: MODIFICATIONS that you regret?