General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Is it me or did Toyota ruin the 4Runner?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea.... But its a jeep lol. Toyota just needs to make the 3rd gens again. All with the 3.4 super charged, 5 speed manual. Option for the fold down gate. Locker, sunroof, leather, and the option for the SaS or IFS from factory... The world would be perfect again. lol
Old 02-01-2010, 07:54 PM

Imo, 3rd gen 4runner is the best! I loved my 99 limited. If it had the 4.0L in it, that'd be something. On the other hand, I kinda like the 5th gen too.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stormin94
I think the 4Runner pretty much died around 2002.5. The 4th gen had some features that may sound appealing to off roading, such as hill start assist, and others....but it's too expensive, and too big to wheel and have any fun. And the 5th gen is an abomination. I like mine just the way it is, even if it is underpowered just a hair. lol
Actually, the 4Runner got CONSIDERABLY cheaper with time, and it's much more vehicle for the money. Would you pay $40k for an SR5 V6 today? If not, Toyota has to cut corners to compete with everyone else making cars cheaper.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:18 PM

i think that new 4cyl. in the 2010 has almost equal hp to the 3.4 in my 3rd gen. and the new v6 is close to the 4th gen v8 option in power. my 3rd gen is slow, but it gets me around and at 219,000 miles i can't complain.

I just dont see options for 5th gen offroad products. Bumpers seem like they would be hard to make look right for it. too much plastic for me
Old 02-02-2010, 03:00 AM

you guys do realize that enthusiasts will account for less than 10% of the 2010's sales right?
Basically it comes down to, you can't always get what you want, and toyota has to look out for their best interest.
The 4Runner from '10 will sell a hell of a lot more pieces than the 4Runner from '86, and that's because they made it more appealing to more people.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by RaceTRACk
Imo, 3rd gen 4runner is the best! I loved my 99 limited. If it had the 4.0L in it, that'd be something. On the other hand, I kinda like the 5th gen too.
I personally like the 3rd gen the best. It has the supercharger option, you can find them with a selectable locker, they have some creature comforts, and are still small enough to be useful in the back country. The problem with Gen I and IIs was they were so down on power. I'm not sure I'd like a solid axle personally...too rough of a ride.

Originally Posted by Max OOOO
I think the idea is that the FJ is the replacement to the old runner. It's cheaper (albeit slightly), smaller, you can get it in a manual, etc.
I heard they're gonna quit making the FJ. Is that no accurate? They really screwed up with the FJ...it should have been more like the old body style from 1978 - 1980 to compete more with the Jeep. Imagine how awesome that would have been.

Originally Posted by LINY4Runner
you guys do realize that enthusiasts will account for less than 10% of the 2010's sales right?
Basically it comes down to, you can't always get what you want, and toyota has to look out for their best interest.
The 4Runner from '10 will sell a hell of a lot more pieces than the 4Runner from '86, and that's because they made it more appealing to more people.
Probably...but so far reading a few forums even current owners of the 5th gens aren't very happy with them. I've seen complaints of quality issues like squeeky dashes etc. My 3rd gen is 8 years old and is still solid as a rock...of course it was built in Japan. I did notice my 1991 4x4 Toyota was solid (Japan built), my 1997 Tacoma wasn't (USA) and my 1999 Tacoma wasn't (USA). You see LOADS of complaints on the Tacomas.

Don't get me wrong, I have a 2009 Dodge Challenger has a hot rod, so I'm not against American cars at all. It's just a big difference I noticed in the Toyotas I've owned.

Also, I see A LOT more 3rd gen 4Runners in my area than I do 4th Gen. I don't think a lot of people liked those either. I'm not sure if they were too pricey or what, but I only see the occasional 4th gen compared to 20 or so 3rd gens.

Last edited by Speedy; 02-02-2010 at 07:15 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by bvet4dog
annnn i've got a '98 limited edition totally gonna keep that for a LOOOONG time.

leather
locker
4wd
moon roof

ahhhh it's a blessing. to be honest... i kinda knew that it was comming. Because look at every one else (car manufactures) they all are pretty much going down hill too. i mean wtf is going on with the smart cars aka tin cans and bunch of other bull?
99 ltd here. the last great year.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yea a lot of people don't like me (older guys) because i drive a toyota....they think i hate america, and "american made" cars/trucks....i LOVE america, and if i could afford it..i'd be drivin a 3rd gen dodge diesel 4x4 ('98-'02)
Old 02-02-2010, 10:52 AM

I don't really like any vehicle after 02. I had hopes for the fj cruiser but it just doesn't do it for me. I liked the new 4runners until I saw them in person. I love my 2000 4runner and will drive the wheels off and then probably put them back on. A removable top would be sweet but nothings perfect.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:10 AM

i kinda like the new 4runner. goshhhh
Old 02-02-2010, 11:23 AM
ET

my thoughts exactly on the new 4runner. it seems that toyota used the 4runner to replace the sequoia and the rav-4 has taken the place of the 4runner as the newest ones are just about as big as the 1st gen 4runners. jeep is the only brand left it seems that still makes small offroad worthy suv's.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I blame NAFTA not toyota, its hard to get quality these days especially with the number one car company competing with the american car companies' out sourcing jobs and what not, its difficult to keep up with costs and demand in the states. The "unpatriotic" attitude some people feel toward toyta is just silly rreally. the proof is in the pudding...300,xxx miles?? forget about it!!....We all know the truth or else we wouldn;t be on this site. That staunch american motor attitude, though, is what has led to our massive aftermarket and Yotaholics we all love!!.......can't you buy smaller toyota's still in other parts of the world just not in the US??

Last edited by WatsonToyota; 02-02-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:36 PM

I think you guys aren't giving these trucks enough credit. The aftermarket will come along eventually. Toyota kept the 5th gen as a real "truck" that was able to run the Rubicon in nearly stock form. Sure the Rubicon isn't the be all and end all of wheeling but still, running it out of the box isn't half bad. Tell me these 4th gens can't run a trail or two.

And before we get too hung up on "all the plastic", Keep in mind that the stuff comes off. Look at this progression of a Lexus from mild to wild.

Admittedly, most of us are not going to go out and buy a 40-50K$ rig to bang up on the trail, but at some point down the road these rigs will be waiting for us to put our own personal flair on them.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:11 PM

Yes boys and girls, it's all about market share and the changing demographic that drives what Toyota produces. I own a 2006 V8 4Runner. I too have an 89 truck built up pretty nice and used to have an 01 Taco TRD. I also have an old Camry. I got the 06 Runner for a family vehicle. It's a great family vehicle and it's pretty well mannered off road. It's too long, has too much plastic and is way, way too low to the ground for decent off road, but you can overcome that with mods. Gone are the days of getting a stock Yota truck or SUV with very good all around capabilities (IMHO).

Folks that got tired of minivans and unreliable American SUVs and trucks shifted over to the Yotas...and Toyota took notice. They gave the American market (as they analyzed it) what they wanted. Cup holders, DVDs, dual zone climate control, automatic freaking everything. They produced a car that appealed to soccer moms, suit and tie "adventurists" and anyone who wanted a really reliable vehicle with years of legend behind it.

Don't get me wrong, I pine for the solid axle days, simple engines, short wheelbases and bulletproof reliability. I guess you can blame your neighbors and reality TV for the change. :-)

Peace ya'll.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:19 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
2nd gen 4runners did not ruin the 4runner... it simply opened a window for advancement you know you love chopped top SAS 3.4 swapped 2nd gens.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:53 AM

i have an 02 sr5 with locker and all the goodies, but i damn do love the 2010 4runner limited though..
Old 02-04-2010, 01:27 AM

yea idk why but the 4runner has changed from a guys off-road beastin machine, into something that a mom (who wouldnt be caught dead in a minivan and cant afford a land cruiser) takes her kids to soccer practice in! it breaks my heart. whatever happened to that good looking solid 2nd gen hmmm answer that one toyota. please we are begging to know
Old 02-04-2010, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by stormin94
I think the 4Runner pretty much died around 2002.5. The 4th gen had some features that may sound appealing to off roading, such as hill start assist, and others....but it's too expensive, and too big to wheel and have any fun. And the 5th gen is an abomination. I like mine just the way it is, even if it is underpowered just a hair. lol
My '05 is great for wheeling. With 5" lift, 35" tires, ARB, CBI bumpers, WARN winch and ARB locker it rocks TJs out of the trail. It does have only 1 disadvantage over Jeep - slightly longer, but gives back great interior and comfort.
I do have both 3rd and 4th Gen. I know what you are trying to say, it does apeal more like a car style vs. 3rd Gen, but right equipt its no way worse then previous generation. Still solid good truck., and V6 is awesome.
I do tend to agree that 5th Gen has too much electronics in it and I can only think what can go wrong after 10 years of off-roading.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by BLKNBLU
Tell me these 4th gens can't run a trail or two.

Huooo, this my truck 2 years ago. Now with adding Long-Travel suspension , snorkel, CBI, locker, rack,...etc. it even more capable. This truck is very capable for serious off-road. Here is a shot of my 4Runners:

Old 02-04-2010, 02:31 AM

AlexJet i LOVE your runner, but they need to come from the factory that way! hahaha

Quick Reply: Is it me or did Toyota ruin the 4Runner?