General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Machine shop basics?

Old 09-10-2018, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Machine shop basics?

I'm getting my 22r honed, bored, decked, driveshaft milled, etc by a local machine shop. So far they have had my engine for 4 weeks, found two burn valves, a scored camshaft, and tapered pistons. I feel like they are taking an extremely long time, and when I called this morning to inform them I purchased my own rocker arms and replacement camshaft, they told me that hey had already bought one for me, and that it probably would have saved me money. This kind of pissed me off, because I have already gone with a parts package from them for the pistons, bearings, etc that was more expensive that LCE engineering, but they assured me better quality. Now with them ordering more parts without my permission i'm wondering the overall quality of this shop, and doubt I will see my block for the new 2 weeks. Mind you they are not building a single thing on the engine, only machining work. Would you say it is better to send the block out to a reputable machine shop when locally all you have is these kind of shops? I'm in NW Montana and there are literally 2 shops withing 200 miles that do block work.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:08 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

If there are only 2 shops in 200 miles they must be very busy .

Most Engine Machine Shops like using the brand parts they use it makes any quality problems easy to fix .

Just curious if it is only block work why do they have the head ??

Did you not inspect things when you took things apart to decide it needed machine work ??

At this time the shop I use is a 8 to 12 week turn around for simple work

If your not happy by all means go else where
Old 09-10-2018, 11:30 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by wyoming9
If there are only 2 shops in 200 miles they must be very busy .

Most Engine Machine Shops like using the brand parts they use it makes any quality problems easy to fix .

Just curious if it is only block work why do they have the head ??

Did you not inspect things when you took things apart to decide it needed machine work ??

At this time the shop I use is a 8 to 12 week turn around for simple work

If your not happy by all means go else where
Yes, all of what Wyo asked plus . . .

Originally Posted by tgmack
I'm getting my 22r honed, bored, decked, driveshaft milled, etc by a local machine shop.
driveshaft milled ? ? ?

And, when you checked into their rep what did you hear/read about them?
Old 09-11-2018, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I brought the head in for them to deck it so everything matched up right when I put it back together. I asked about what parts they were giving me, I got "I don't know but we have been using them for years." I knew the valves would be a little tired based on my piston rings being bad, just looking for a little insight.