General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Koyo bearings

Old 03-02-2008, 11:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Koyo bearings

I have been having a bear of a time finding Koyo bearings for sale online. Even at the Toyota parts places I can't find them & the only ones I have been able to find are the outer bearings, no one seems to stock or carry the inner bearings.

Anyone know of an E-tailer that has them for a reasonable price?

I have a query in with a member here who says he can get them & he did me right on some Aisins I bought from him so I'll deal with him again (dirtoyboy) but my question still stands for future reference or in case DTB can't get them for whatever reason.

Edit:I saw the trail gear kit...they're not Koyos & I saw the Marlin Crawler kit which ARE Koyos, while that kit looked to be just what I wanted to order it seems to be out of stock as the little shopping cart Icon isn't there & I'm not sure what year bearings are interchangeable; there seems to be a little conflicting info out here in cyber space about that.

Last edited by Brenjen; 03-02-2008 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:48 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bearings for what?

Nachi are used stock also, and Timken are great and readily available
Old 03-02-2008, 03:58 PM

Although I hate doing business with eBay it looks like this shop I found on there that has the Koyos is going to be my back up if DTB has a problem getting them.

Why are these wheel bearings so difficult to get part #'s for & find for sale? Domestics are so simple, my old Dodges are no trouble to get parts for.

Anytime I order from my local Toyota dealership the cost is in line with Bill Gates annual interest accrual & it always takes at least three days to arrive or longer if you count weekends & holidays & the fellow behind the counter always makes me pay up front (read:TWO trips across town & back @ over $3 a gallon & bankers hours) & if his computer screen doesn't show the exact wording you used to tell him what you want or if you don't have an exact part number; he's LOST (poor guy).

So Please - pretty Please if you know what the part #'s are & where to order the Koyos, post up & let me in on the secret; I seem to be the only guy having trouble finding Koyos for my rig. It actually makes me feel sort of small & insignificant to be this helpless over something like wheel bearings lol

Originally Posted by tc
Bearings for what?

Nachi are used stock also, and Timken are great and readily available
Sorry, I thought I had posted they are for the '95 in my sig.....Nachi you say? I've never heard of them. I've used Timkins in the past & had O.K. service out of them, I say O.K. because I've had about 1/10th of them fail with one needle bearing locking up in the housing....but that was in heavier trucks too. I've never had a Toyota anything before this 4Runner, it's my first.

Last edited by Brenjen; 03-02-2008 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been in the bearing industry for 15 years so maybe I can help. Depends on where you are but go to an industrial distributer..like AIT,US Bearings. They will be able to help you. If you have the Koyo # (32xxx), all other manufacturers will use this same number. Personally, I will never use Koyo or Nachii. Try to use Timken or SKF.

Good luck
cheers,heavy
Old 03-02-2008, 04:04 PM
tc
Contributing Member

I figured they were for you '95, I meant what usage - now I see for wheel bearings.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by heavydm
I have been in the bearing industry for 15 years so maybe I can help. Depends on where you are but go to an industrial distributer..like AIT,US Bearings. They will be able to help you. If you have the Koyo # (32xxx), all other manufacturers will use this same number. Personally, I will never use Koyo or Nachii. Try to use Timken or SKF.

Good luck
cheers,heavy
No bearing dist. in my town...it's small. See above for my edit in the last post about Timkins. And I don't have the numbers, that's one of my problems.

Originally Posted by tc
I figured they were for you '95, I meant what usage - now I see for wheel bearings.
Yeah, the fronts...I didn't even know if they were the same size for the inner & outer since some online sales places don't list if they are inner or outer. it's confusing the crap out of me & will I fear until I tear the front apart & see what's in there already & use those numbers. I just hate to do that, I like to have all my parts at the ready so I can just get it done.

(I actually start typing these a few minutes before your replies but don't hit post for twenty minutes sometimes because of distractions around the house)

Last edited by Brenjen; 03-02-2008 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:14 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Ummm - dude, I don't know how to say this, but you have to be the most anal person about parts I've ever met. LOL

Most people just go down to their local AutoZone, NAPA, whatever, hear they have Timken or some other name brand, quality bearing and slap those in, and then keep them lubricated with good grease.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:22 PM

No not anal (much, maybe a little) I've just had plenty of experience with Timkens over the years & though most were good, as I said in an earlier edit, in my experience with them about one out of ten will have a single needle bearing lock up in the housing after only a few thousand miles & I had one burn completely up in the rear end of my old work truck because I refused to believe the bearing I just put in a few hundred miles before could be going bad that quickly...but it was.

I have heard nothing but praise for the Koyos & I know for a fact Japan has better standards, quality control & tolerances than China or Mexico (probably combined).

If I'm going to tear it apart I want to put in good quality if I can find it for the same price as Chinese garbage.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:37 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Timken are made here in the USA ... from steel made in the USA.

Last edited by tc; 03-02-2008 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:43 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No issues with timkens in our shop and thats all we use.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by tc
Timken are made here in the USA ... from steel made in the USA.
From what I've read Timkins are made in China, Mexico & the U.S. & it's luck of the draw; I also read the Koyos are made from Timkin sourced steel.

So are the inner & outers the same on all the 2nd gens, two & four wheel drive, SA or IFS? (I've read that too)

I really don't want to have to wait until I have it all apart to find out what bearings I need; but I suppose like all the things I've had in my life from that first bike in 1972 I'll just have to tear it apart & find out by looking & if it costs me a few hours or a couple days so be it. After 24 years of using Timkins (or however you spell it) I think I have a grasp on how they perform, 90% isn't bad but it's time to try something else, I'm going with the Koyos this go round & would like to find an online supplier. If they end up being cheaply made I'll know first hand.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:51 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If you want KOYO, order them from Toyota of Dallas http://www.trdparts4u.com. Excellent prices... excellent service.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by GSGALLANT
If you want KOYO, order them from Toyota of Dallas http://www.trdparts4u.com. Excellent prices... excellent service.
I know you'll think I'm crazy but I order about 99% of what I buy on the web from them so that was the first place I looked & couldn't find them in that drill down menu ANYWHERE & even searched by name for them.

So you've gotten some from them? Mind giving me a link? Do they have a kit like Marlin lists with the seals & all for one handy dandy out the door price per side?

Thanks for getting back to "where to get them" instead of following the "you're anal" or the "Timkins are better" venue.

(J/K'ing to all you other guys, I know you were just playing around & I know I have a hard time making my thought appear in print the way I thought it...I tend to ramble & lose focus which loses some people)

Old 03-03-2008, 10:21 AM
tc
Contributing Member

To be fair - I'm not saying Timken are better.

I'm saying Timken are plenty good, and you can have them RIGHT NOW as a local autoparts store probably has them in stock.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by heavydm
Personally, I will never use Koyo or Nachii. Try to use Timken or SKF.

Good luck
cheers,heavy
whats wrong with Koyos? They are OEM toyota parts.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by tc
To be fair - I'm not saying Timken are better.

I'm saying Timken are plenty good, and you can have them RIGHT NOW as a local autoparts store probably has them in stock.
I know man, I'm yanking ya'lls chains because of the divergence from the actual question. But you do see where I'm coming from right? Timkens could be made anywhere from China to Mexico to the U.S. if you believe everything you read & I'm going off of that PLUS my own personal experience with them. 4X4 wire says someone said that they knew a guy who claimed the Koyos are manufactured from Timken steel....so it's whether you believe what you read or not for some folks.

10% premature failure rates aren't really that bad but it's something to consider when you're talking about wheel bearings & that's been my experience (as I've said) YMMV

Old 03-03-2008, 10:43 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Well, I know for a fact that Timken bearings (wherever they are assembled) are made from USA made steel, and that the rollers are produced in the USA. They may be assembled somewhere else.

I would highly doubt that Koyo or Nachi bearings are made from USA steel - it's not how Japanese companies work ...
Old 03-03-2008, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by tc
Well, I know for a fact that Timken bearings (wherever they are assembled) are made from USA made steel, and that the rollers are produced in the USA. They may be assembled somewhere else.

I would highly doubt that Koyo or Nachi bearings are made from USA steel - it's not how Japanese companies work ...
Off the path but, I was under the impression that Japan used a bunch of steel from the U.S. scrap industry. Like...most of it.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:23 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Brenjen
I know you'll think I'm crazy but I order about 99% of what I buy on the web from them so that was the first place I looked & couldn't find them in that drill down menu ANYWHERE & even searched by name for them.

So you've gotten some from them? Mind giving me a link? Do they have a kit like Marlin lists with the seals & all for one handy dandy out the door price per side?
I haven't gotten wheel bearings from them, but I've purchased different bearings from the differential and they were KOYO.

As far as how to find them, for front wheel bearings, check the following path in the drill down of the mechanical catalog "Front Suspension - Suspension Components - Front Wheel Bearing". For rear wheel bearings, check the following path in the drill down of the mechanical catalog "Universals & Rear Axle - Rear Axle - Axle Bearings".

If there's something that you can't find on their website, you can always call or email them and they are more than happy to help you out.
Good luck.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Brenjen
Off the path but, I was under the impression that Japan used a bunch of steel from the U.S. scrap industry. Like...most of it.

..chances are your "japanese" toyota is not made from "japanese" steel......most of their raw steel on the island was used up during WWI....they still process their steel IN japan but get the raw materials from other countries...

at least thats what I was TOLD...not sure if its completely true

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Koyo bearings