General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Exact ingredients in Toyota red coolant

Old 06-30-2007, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exact ingredients in Toyota red coolant

I've read & searched and have yet to find the actual ingredients in the Toyota red coolant that the dealer sells.
Is there anyone who's got a bottle handy who'd be willing to post *exactly what the label ingredients say?
You ask 100 opinions on coolant and they're all going to be different. I'd just like to know what the actual bottle of Toyota says.
Thanks
Old 06-30-2007, 03:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here ya go:

"Genuine TOYOTA Pre-mixed Anti-rust Anti-freeze / Super Long Life Coolant is a new generation ethylene glycol-based premium engine coolant, offering excellent corrosion protection formulated specifically for all TOYOTA warranty requirements. For vehicles fitted with Super Long Life Coolant at the plant, it is highly recommended that Super Long Life Coolant be used for maintenance."

EDIT: This is for the Toyota Factory Pink Fluid part number 08889-80071

Last edited by KZN185W; 06-30-2007 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by RoySharif
Here ya go:

"Genuine TOYOTA Pre-mixed Anti-rust Anti-freeze / Super Long Life Coolant is a new generation ethylene glycol-based premium engine coolant, offering excellent corrosion formulated specifically for all TOYOTA warranty requirements. For vehicles fitted with Super Long Life Coolant at the plant, it is highly recommended that Super Long Life Coolant be used for maintenance."
EDIT: This is for the Toyota Factory Pink Fluid part number 08889-80071
Ah! Thank you! I believe the 'pink' is the pre-mixed and the 'red' is the concentrated stuff. It does say it's recommended if your Toyota came from the factory with it. Back in 87' when mine was new there was only 'the green stuff'. I've read quite a few articles the last few hours saying that in older engines that have already had green coolant in them, you're not supposed to switch to the newer non-silicate coolant. A great link I found on this forum is at http://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/...ota-antifreeze
I greatly appreciate your post, thank you. Who'da thought something as simple as coolant would be such a decision??
It's looking like I'll stick with the green stuff & distilled water. It's worked 20 yrs, no reason to change now :-)
Old 06-30-2007, 04:31 PM
Contributing Member

The red or pink coolant are for the aluminum radiators. If yours has copper/brass/bronze parts in the cooling/heater system, you're better off with the green coolant because the red/pink will react with those parts and causing blockage and subsequently, overheating.

EDIT: this is quotd from the NULON website ( http://www.nulon.com.au/products.php?productId=rll ):

Nulon Red Long Life Coolant Concentrate provides the ultimate anti-boil, anti-freeze and corrosion protection for all late model vehicles, including petrol, diesel and heavy duty diesel applications. Red Long Life Coolant incorporates the most up to date Organic Acid Technology (OAT) carboxylate corrosion inhibitors. Red Long Life Coolant is nitrite and amine free to meet US requirements, phosphate free to meet European requirements and silicate free to meet Japanese requirements. Nulon RLL's carboxylate inhibitor package is more stable and stays in solution better than traditional coolants. This provides an extended shelf life of 5 years. Nulon RLL will not form solids inside cooling systems, or become abrasive to water pump seals. All of this means that RLL provides maximum corrosion and anti-freeze, anti-boil protection for up to 5 years or 250,000 km, (whichever comes first).

Nulon Red Long Life Coolant is the preferred coolant to use in cooling systems that are fitted with aluminium radiators. It is a genuine 100% OAT based, long life coolant. RLL is dyed its distinct red/orange colour to instantly distinguish its unique chemistry from traditional green coolants. It should not be mixed with other coolants. As it is a concentrated coolant, it is to be used at 33% to 50% by volume in soft or demineralised water. Nulon RLL provides maximum protection against cavitation erosion of wet cylinder liners in diesel engines. Nulon Red Long Life Coolant is not recommended for use in cooling systems that have a copper/brass radiator (in such vehicles, use Nulon LL, which is green). If changing from any other coolant to Red Long Life Coolant , always thoroughly flush the system first as cross contamination will reduce the life of Red Long Life Coolant .

Benefits:

* 5 years or 250,000 km service life (whichever comes first) when used as directed
* Guaranteed to suit every vehicle where red/orange OAT based coolant has been specified
* Provides optimum, long term protection against corrosion of all cooling system metals
* Compatible with hoses and rubber fittings
* Expands operating temperature range of cooling systems (see details below)
* Eliminates the need for supplemental coolant additives (SCA) in diesel engines
* Reduces the incidence of nucleate or hot spot boiling
* Not aggressive to water pump seals as is often the case with silicate based coolants
* Performance of OAT inhibitors does not diminish with time
* Particularly effective in controlling cavitation erosion wet cylinder liners in diesel engines

Last edited by KZN185W; 06-30-2007 at 05:10 PM.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:38 PM

Where were you this morning when I started this little bit of reseach? lol
It took me tons of reading to find out that you're exactly right. I was afraid to post without searching 1st but as it turns out it would've saved me a lot of time.
Thanks!
Old 06-30-2007, 05:20 PM
Contributing Member

Glad to be of help!