General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

engine noise

Old 11-22-2016, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine noise

Im not sure if this is the right forum. The drop-down list goes off screen and trying to scowl down the list disappears.

Slightly over 1 year ago i replaced the fuel filter. I was paying attention when i tried to start it for the 1st time, since I remember years and years ago some fuel injection vehicles sometimes were tricky or hard to start after the line was open during filter replacement. Toyota does not list this as a maintenance replacement part. Well, it started right away. however, there was a clicking noise after the engine started. It clicked 6 or 8 kinda rapid clicks, then the clicking stopped then another noise started. that other noise was just a regular standard sounding engine noise, but it was absent when the engine 1st started until the clicking stopped. Its about 3 to 5 seconds of clicking before that stops and the other engine noise starts. The pause between the last click and the noise indicates to me that the additional noise is not drowning out the clicking sound.

Additional noise might be a vacuum pump?

The above noise has continued to this day.

Its clicking is absent when starting hot or even if i just run the engine for 10 to 20 seconds then turn it off and on again. However, if I shut it off right away after just a second or two and start it again I might get the clicking and noise afterwards a time or two, but maybe just 2 or 4 clicks instead of 6-8.

I need to say this too. That this may have always been like that. Its just once I was specifically paying attention because it might be hard to start, I was listening carefully so more likely to hear this and its been on my mind ever since. So most times I start the truck, I now hear it. I have lent the truck to others in this time and asked them if they heard anything unusual when starting and they all noticed nothing. However, when I point it out, then start the vehicle in their presence they notice it and each has their own idea of what it might be.

I went on a long trip a month after replacing the filter and Im planning another long trip in a month or two.

2.4L

Ideas?

thanks,
paul
Old 11-22-2016, 06:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model and year please sir unless I missed it.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:24 PM

does this really vary by mdl/year?
tacoma 2003
Old 11-22-2016, 07:09 PM

You betcha! I'm a 4Runner guy but I can tell you that in 2001 many of the vacuum actuated components with electrically actuated versions. Model and year are always important when asking a question.

Did you change the oil at the same time as the fuel filter?

I'm leaning toward the clicking coming from the injectors but would really need to hear it. You could possibly have inadvertently created an air leak in your fuel line when you changed the filter. A poor seal or a crack in the metal line wouldn't surprise me in this case. Did you use two wrenches, one on the filter and one on the line, when you removed the filter or did you just use one wrench on the fuel line, which would allow twisting of the metal line? Air in the line could cause the injectors to sound a little different until the air is purged from the system. In this case, air would slowly enter the fuel circuit while the engine isn't running. After the fuel pump is circulating fuel, this air would be purged and would not reappear until the truck had not run for several hours so you wouldn't hear it when you cranked it after, say, ten minutes but would be there after ten hours. Inspect your fuel lines around the filter. Look for any sign or smell of a leak.

That's my theory without actually hearing the noise.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:28 PM

Did you change the oil at the same time as the fuel filter?
No

Did you use two wrenches
Yes...on each end.

air is purged from the system
Would not that make the engine stumble or stall?

Important point is that the additional engine noise always starts about 1/2 second after the clicks stop. Just long enough to notice that the clicking did indeed stop. If its 3 clicks or 8 clicks or somewhere in between, it does not matter...1/2 second later the additional noise starts. This is not an unusual noise. if not for it starting after the engine, you would never notice it. I actually cant tell you if the engine continues to make this noise for its entire run time. I think it does, but have no way to know.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:18 PM

What does this additional "normal" engine noise sound like?

Search this Thread