General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

driveshaft lengths

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
driveshaft lengths

Perhaps we can gather some information here and post some information useful to anyone looking for transmission swaps or replacement options. What I would like to see here is a simple list. No BS, or stray conversations. Just the facts. What we need is simple
Year
Type (pickup standard cab, extened cab, 4runner, etc)
Transmission (manual or auto, 2wd or 4wd)
Lift (if applicable)
length of front drive shaft
length of rear drive shaft

Please measure from the outermost point on the flanges, as the truck sits in the driveway or garage on a level surface.

I'll start
91 4runner
3.0 v6
4wd automatic
BJ spacers, landcruiser coils in rear
front driveshaft 23"
rear driveshaft 46 3/4"
Old 12-29-2010, 09:37 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
so the intent is good but I am thinking that this is not gonna work that well.

too many variables.
Also moved to the correct section
Old 12-30-2010, 05:16 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Custom driveshafts are just that, made for the vehicle. I tell my driveshaft guy how much travel and f to f length and he builds it. He doesn't care for what vehicle, lift, etc.

Your best bet is take the stock driveshaft you got to a competent drivetrain shop and have yours modified by someone who does it for a living everyday.

It's not as simple as you'd hoped it would be.

:wabbit2:
Old 12-30-2010, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately, there are not a lot of shops around here that do that kind of work.

It shouldn't be that difficult if I could find a 4wd 5 speed 4runner, would be a direct fit. That's why I was just trying to compile some type of list as to what length driveshafts are in what type of vehicle, just to maybe possibly open up a couple more options to search for in a junk yard.

Besides, I only have about a thousand bucks (give or take) into the truck as it sits right now. The last thing I really care to do is pick up a pair of driveshafts that cost as much as I paid for the truck to begin with. Most of the u pull it yards around me run about 50-75 bucks for a drive shaft.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:28 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Your best bet is take the stock driveshaft you got to a competent drivetrain shop and have yours modified by someone who does it for a living everyday.
Originally Posted by pb4ugotobed
The last thing I really care to do is pick up a pair of driveshafts that cost as much as I paid for the truck to begin with. Most of the u pull it yards around me run about 50-75 bucks for a drive shaft.
Then you need to learn to weld and have at it.

:wabbit2: