General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Best spark plug wires & plugs

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best spark plug wires & plugs

It has been almost 7yrs since my T100 5VZ-FE had new plugs & wires. Last time I replaced them the motor was running as if it had 4 cyls instead of 6 and the CE light came on. That happened again today on my way home from work, no warning, no symptoms, just all-of-a-sudden, and the CE light started blinking a few times when I accelerated hard. Seems to idle okay. I hope it's not a coil pack and I don't have a scanner to check which cylinder(s) are not firing right.

The wires I got way back when were some cheap brand from Car Quest, I have not pulled the plugs yet but assume I got the factory recommended NGK BKR5EKB-11. FSM shows two spark plugs: NGK BKR5EKB-11 and ND (Desno): K16TR11 but no part # for the wires. Any idea what a "good" brand for wires is and what it should cost? Also, any recommendation on different or better plugs or should I stick with the factory recommendation? I appreciate your response.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:56 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

For what it is worth I just get the plugs and wires at my Toyota Dealer or if online works better for you.

I also carry a code reader in each vehicle that has OBDII

A blinking light means a major problem and driving may be doing damage to your engine .

Certain codes will turn off the fuel
Old 08-30-2017, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply Wyoming. yep, I know what the blinky light means and got a little nervous when it started doing that, but when I backed off the throttle it went solid again. When I got home the motor was idling only a little rough like it had a plug wire pulled off, only started bucking and laboring when I gave it a little gas. Engine temp was normal, oil looked fine on the stick so I think it's going to be okay.
My local yota dealer is a rip off and they don't have plugs in stock for my T100 anyway. I checked the local Advance Auto, they have the standard NGK plugs and NGK wires
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/ngk-ignition-wire-set-4412/15500233-P

The wires seem to have good reviews from other yota owners so I may just get these. I almost forgot that these motors have only three wires rather than six.

Last edited by 8lugnuts; 08-30-2017 at 09:10 AM.