General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Bedliner thoughts?

Old 02-02-2017, 04:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bedliner thoughts?

I'm in the process of taking a pass through my '95 4x4 as it passes from one kid to the next. I'm mostly focused on body/interior and a few upgrades to fix a few of my son's "adventures" and minimize the indignity that my 16 y/o daughter will suffer from having to drive her brother's old truck around . This thing will be used as a truck only periodically - mulch/firewood once a year, occasional Home Depot or dump runs and helping friends move once in a while.

I popped out the hard plastic bedliner and was surprised at how much stuff had accumulated beneath it. I basically had 100# or so of wet muck from mulch, dirt and other stuff we'd hauled mixed with a bunch of moisture. I feel like I dodged a bullet as the bed itself is in great shape with no rust or corrosion at all.

So, my question is whether I should do something to protect the bed prior to dropping the factory bedliner back in. I'm thinking that my limit would be $100 and a couple of hours. Maybe a coat of POR-15? A quick painting of a brush/roll in bedliner? Some kind of water-resistant clear coat? Or, am I overthinking this, and I should just put it back together and remember to pop the bedliner out and clean underneath every couple of years?

Any thoughts/experience/wisdom would be appreciated.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:53 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
You mentioned a new clearcoat which leads me to it has been compromised and will need treated and resealed. Put a rust converter on it first, the cheapest is a 25% mix of vinegar and water or you can use a commercial product. Give it a good rinse and dry. Then reseal it, a POR product or repaint is up to you. I'll just remind you if you ever plan to sell it not every one likes bedliner and some are very difficult to remove. You'll want to investigate how/why the liner is letting things passed and remedy it.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:09 AM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Spray it with monster liner with a HF gun and throw the gun away when your done.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by thefishguy77
Spray it with monster liner with a HF gun and throw the gun away when your done.
More cost and time efficient to just roll on. Bedliner isn't something you want a fine light layer of either.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
You mentioned a new clearcoat which leads me to it has been compromised and will need treated and resealed.

You'll want to investigate how/why the liner is letting things passed and remedy it.
I might have been a bit unclear in my initial post. The bed actually looks fine. I'm just thinking in terms of doing something preventative so I don't have problems in the future. The bedliner has cutouts for tie-down brackets in all four corners, so what got under there was dirt, mulch and other stuff we've hauled in it over the past seven years.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:53 PM

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
First spray a rust encapsulator on any rusty spots. Better would be to put naval jelly on them and wire brush. Clean the bed thoroughly and mask off where you want the liner to strop. Use one of the roll on bedliner kits. This one is $92 and includes the brushes. You can get them at Walmart and parts stores too. https://www.amazon.com/Herculiner-HC...bed+liner+kits
Old 02-03-2017, 05:06 PM

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts
Don't use hurculiner. That was the worst decision I ever made on my truck.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:51 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
With the addressing the possible rust and doing a bed liner (prep and application) and curing time I think you will end up over the 2 hours you mentioned.
I would do bed liner and break up the stages over a couple days.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Robert m
Don't use hurculiner. That was the worst decision I ever made on my truck.
You should probably elaborate..

You pretty much pulled the "O'Doyle rules" thing there.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:14 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
From what I have read it has a tendency for fading quickly.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by eggens
I might have been a bit unclear in my initial post. The bed actually looks fine. I'm just thinking in terms of doing something preventative so I don't have problems in the future. The bedliner has cutouts for tie-down brackets in all four corners, so what got under there was dirt, mulch and other stuff we've hauled in it over the past seven years.
You are over thinking it. And so are we!

Maybe a bit of pond liner or rubber roofing patch to seal up the vinyl liner for the tie down holes and slap it back on.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
You should probably elaborate..

You pretty much pulled the "O'Doyle rules" thing there.
I followed the directions on the can and the stuff doesn't stick. I have applied multiple coats and it still chips and flakes off just by washing the truck. It is now thin enough in some spots that the paint under is more visible then the bed liner. It is NOT chemical or oil resistant and fades or stains easily. If something actually scrapes it, it peals right off. Lastly, the texture of it is like really rough sand paper, so if you have to crawl around in the bed and your wearing shorts be prepared for sore legs and scratched up knees.

Better?
Old 02-04-2017, 10:07 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert m
I followed the directions on the can and the stuff doesn't stick. I have applied multiple coats and it still chips and flakes off just by washing the truck. It is now thin enough in some spots that the paint under is more visible then the bed liner. It is NOT chemical or oil resistant and fades or stains easily. If something actually scrapes it, it peals right off. Lastly, the texture of it is like really rough sand paper, so if you have to crawl around in the bed and your wearing shorts be prepared for sore legs and scratched up knees.

Better?

How long did it take to prep and apply the first coat?
Old 02-04-2017, 10:58 PM

As this was every bit of 9 or 10 years ago, I dont know for sure but it took hours. Between the first cleaning, sanding, blowing the dust away, wiping down with acetone, and then masking and taping off. then applying the first of a few coats, it was a good chunk of a day.

Search this Thread