General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Algranger's Innovative Mods and Ideas Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 04:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Algranger's Innovative Mods and Ideas Thread

Well i've been having fun coming up with little inventions and mods for my trail rig, I figured instead of scattering more threads all over i would compile all of them into one post.

As i add new mods i will edit them into this post.

Idea 1- Steamy Lunch

I got tired of forcing down nasty sammiches while on the trail so i decided to make an on board soup/hot dog cooker.

First, i re-routed my exhaust to terminate in the bed of the truck.

Next, I added a catalytic converter, it's sole purpose is to become extremely hot and burn off the bad exhaust emmisions, so i figured it was best fit to cook my lunch

I welded the catalytic converter on and added a soup tray, soon to come is a hot dog cooker

Idea 2- Hi Lift Mount

I tried the bolts but they were a pain in the ass, if i left it sitting there it would bounce around and smash everthing and it's one less thing to fall out when i flop.

So i welded some spring-under ubolts from a 2wd yota onto some plate and burned them onto the bed rails

Now it wont fall off or out because it needs to be at the right angle to slide off, when i want it i can just pull it out of the bed like its sitting on the bed floor

Wow i just realized the foot is missing fromt he bottom of the hilift.... i hope its not out where i wheeled yesterday

Idea 3- Glovebox Illumination

You know your 1st and 2nd gen pickup/runner's factory interior bugs you for three reasons. A-that DAMN buzzer B-No cupholders C-No govebox lighting

Here is how i adressed the lighting issue (yeah, i'll get an automatically activated switch in there...eventually...)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr9Ek78Yh1U[/youtube]

This final section will be mods you can do to improve your truck's ability to breathe underwater

Idea 1- $30 Snorkel

I used my stock intake tube and flipped it around backwards. Had a little gap to fill but i used some "The Right Stuff" to fill it. Right Stuff is an excelent gasket maker it beats anything and everything.

Adapted to the stock tube is some PVC, you wont need very much so you can usually take some scrap for cheap or free from your local hardware store.

Here is how it will look in the engine bay

After going through the firewall, I decided to run it up by the steering column seeing as this is a trail rig and is already a hack job on wheels. For a more cosmetically appealing snorkel, you may want to terminate underneath the dash or into the glovebox.

Here is how mine is fitted into the cab

I also put a U fitting on top to prevent water from splashing in as i romp on the throttle like a crazy redneck

Well its been a while since the snorkel and i decided to rerout it underneath the dash, everything in front of the firewall is still the same.

Here you can see where the pipe comes around the steering shaft and back up into the dash

Idea 2- Submersible Distributor

After being stuck in a water hole the size of a small ocean, I decided it was time to waterproof the distributor. This mod is very cheap and will save you a great deal of swearing

I pulled the cap off and found that theres a vent hole to allow the air to expand and contract as it heats up

There will be a little cap on the hole like this, do away with that worthless pos

Next, you will want to run a breather hose much like a diff breather.

You can get this for dirt cheap at your local NAPA or hardware store

You will want to run your breather into the cab or adapt it onto the airbox, I chose the cab because i didn't want a potential leak point in the snorkel

When it's time to re-install, add a bead of RTV sealant, or Right Stuff (right stuff is the new duct tape)

Then reinstall you cap and zip tie the wires on there with some dielectric grease

Your distributor is now submersible

Idea 3- Electric Fan

Every time I hit a water crossing i could hear my fan dipping into the water. When the fan blades are in the water, they dont turn very well however the pulley is still spinning full speed the difference is taken up in the clutch. When this happens it eats the clutch alive. My solution was an electric fan from NAPA. I set it up on a toggle switch so i can have it on during wheeling and turn it off for water crossings.

This is a pretty straightforward installation and only cost me $140 (not bad for an electric fan)

It came with everything needed to install, although i was a little disappointed with the method of mounting, i will have to do something about that when i have the time.

Last edited by algranger; 09-16-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:51 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
If this had taken place in Alabama the precidence would say, "You might be a redneck if..."

Take the paper off the bean can.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 04-24-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
having the exhaust like that seems like it'd suck when you're idling. I saw someone do something like that similar, but under the hood attached to the exhaust manifold it'self.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
If this had taken place in Alabama the precidence would say, "You might be a redneck if..."

Take the paper off the bean can.

Nah it gives it that northwest smoked taste

Originally Posted by drew303
having the exhaust like that seems like it'd suck when you're idling. I saw someone do something like that similar, but under the hood attached to the exhaust manifold it'self.
Yeah its not bad.. the exhaust kept getting clogged with mud thats why i put it up there in the first place
Old 04-24-2009, 06:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 04-24-2009, 11:16 PM

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
so now you get intake noise right in your face and exhaust noise right behind you if you open the rear window. how can this be any kind of fun while driving?
Old 04-24-2009, 11:57 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Its strictly a trail rig dude, I dont think he cares..
I got a kick outta the soup holder...How ya gonna hold it once its burning hot..?

Old 04-25-2009, 12:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep...Al's a redneck
Old 04-25-2009, 02:40 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
chicken should only take about 45mins to an hour
Old 04-25-2009, 03:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think that the bean cooker could be modified into a small oven, or frying pan........
Old 04-25-2009, 04:02 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
You are STILL my hero!
Old 04-25-2009, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Robert m
so now you get intake noise right in your face and exhaust noise right behind you if you open the rear window. how can this be any kind of fun while driving?
It's nothing compared to bias Super Swamper shake

Originally Posted by scuba
Its strictly a trail rig dude, I dont think he cares..
I got a kick outta the soup holder...How ya gonna hold it once its burning hot..?

Welding gloves

Originally Posted by toyospearo
You are STILL my hero!
Coool
Old 04-26-2009, 09:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
haha! Awsume We need more!
Old 04-26-2009, 10:12 AM

Yeah al we need some more inventions. I might just use ur waterproofing idea on my distributor while I have my engine out. Keep up the geniouse ideas
Old 04-26-2009, 11:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
USS Algranger to the rescue
Old 04-26-2009, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Adam F

ha ha ha... thats perfect for this
Old 05-16-2009, 10:41 PM

just love the redneck mods haha
Old 05-17-2009, 06:40 AM

Hahaha, wow. I like the distributor mod. I think I'll pass on the others though.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by algranger
It's nothing compared to bias Super Swamper shake
i got used to the shake. gotta love the flat spots in the mornings
Old 05-17-2009, 09:28 AM

Yeah i dont mind the shake either. A tow rig is coming within the next year or two that will be sweeeeet! I'm going full trailer queen with this thing

Quick Reply: Algranger's Innovative Mods and Ideas Thread