General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic
View Poll Results: what Air filter are you using?
Amsoil
25.14%
K&N
34.36%
TRD
4.99%
Stock Paper
30.33%
other
5.18%
Voters: 521. You may not vote on this poll

Which air filter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My experience was with a Downey first design of open air filament K&N filter system. I see they've since changed their design to take a conical K&N. That's good because the old design was a real pain keep together properly. That said I didn't notice any dust getting past when I lived in Houston, but after I moved to Los Angeles I saw a LOT of dust get past. I'm sure it was letting dust through in Houston but it's just not as dusty there. I switched back to the stock style paper element and I've had no more dust problems. I'd think if you're not in a dusty area a K&N would be OK. I sure wouldn't run one in the desert though.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Gadget
To bad the engine won't last that long with a K&N filter on it. It will get sand blasted from the inside out. At least you can put the same filter on your new engine...

Gadget
uhh, you are talking about the FIPK right? because I don't see any problem with the way alot of people are running the K&N's, just the replacement element in the stock airbox. element isn't exposed like the FIPK.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Pitbull
What kind of cheese does your exhaust smell like?
Lindberger Cheese
Old 02-06-2005, 07:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Steveh29
My experience was with a Downey first design of open air filament K&N filter system. I see they've since changed their design to take a conical K&N. That's good because the old design was a real pain keep together properly. That said I didn't notice any dust getting past when I lived in Houston, but after I moved to Los Angeles I saw a LOT of dust get past. I'm sure it was letting dust through in Houston but it's just not as dusty there. I switched back to the stock style paper element and I've had no more dust problems. I'd think if you're not in a dusty area a K&N would be OK. I sure wouldn't run one in the desert though.
I'm not using the open air filament, conical, FIPK or whatever for that reason.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:19 PM

as of now i have a K&N, just to share an idea ive had recently, i would like to relocate the airbox above the wheel well (i dont prefer snorkels), and have the induction in a safer location possibly run the plumbing in the cab rather than smack dab in the front where its exposed to water coming in around the light

Last edited by hamstrungtaco; 02-06-2005 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:50 PM

If you have a 3rd Gen or a Taco your intake for the airbox is already located higher and further back then where you want to move your airbox. You do know that there is a snorkle that runs in the fender back toward the firewall right??

Gadget
Old 02-23-2005, 08:22 PM

Yeah about that K&N...after a while, my MAF sensor went bad, and i guess i got it replaced. How can you clean those darn things, or do you ahve to take them somewhere???
Old 02-23-2005, 08:37 PM
Contributing Member

I got a Fram Air hog. Funny thing is it cuts out sometimes and dies. Surely it aint the filter. It's carborated
Old 02-24-2005, 07:51 PM

K&N FIPK for me. I have been pretty pleased with the modest HP & MPG gains. Never had a prob with any dirt getting past...30,000 miles on it & counting. www.bobistheoilguy.com has some pretty interesting tests on all filters. In fact according to his tests the K&N outperforms the Amsoil.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Alpine114
Yeah about that K&N...after a while, my MAF sensor went bad, and i guess i got it replaced. How can you clean those darn things, or do you ahve to take them somewhere???
Just go to an auto parts store & get a spray can of electric contact cleaner. Its pretty easy to do & makes a noticable difference.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:08 PM

I just use the paper and have had no problems on my 2.7 4 banger. The only thing I don't like is when we spend the day crossing allot of streams and water we end up with a wet filter from the spray. Also every now and then I will find where a mouse or chipmunk has left a bunch of seeds in the box. I have no idea how they get in there but they do. I check it once a week and replace the paper filter every 3,000 or less if needed.
Any idea as to how to keep the critters out of the box?
Old 03-18-2005, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Beartracker
Any idea as to how to keep the critters out of the box?
Dryer sheets placed around the engine bay. Close to the air intake.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:44 PM

K&N for the win
Old 04-30-2005, 06:46 AM
Contributing Member

I had a K&N on my 4.3 s-10....after tearing apart the intake after someone told that K&N doesnt filter well I found out they were right......There was a coating of dust on EVERYTHING...I was kinda upset considering I paid more for the filter....But I notice when you hold the filter up to the sun you can see holes in it, its no wonder dust could make it through the filter....after reading the k&n box, it even says that it will filter better the dirtier it gets, well what they dont tell you is that before it gets dirty it filters like crap....

and as far as the fipk goes, gadget proved on a dyno that it gave you an amazing .5 HP.... thats supposed to be point five horsepower....where the moddified air box gives you + 3-6 HP...or something like that....

So I'll just stick with the stock paper from Toyota, I can see it does a pretty good job, since my truck is on a dirty/dusty job site all day......

Last edited by CynicX; 04-30-2005 at 06:49 AM.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has there been an incidence of early disintegration of amsoil or true flow foam-type air filters?
I'm planning to replace my K&N with a True Flow foam-type air filter but I'm a bit concerned about early disintegration of the foam, especially under heat inside the engine bay.
Under normal conditions, how long does an Amsoil or True Flow foam-type air filter last?

Thanks.

Last edited by KZN185W; 05-05-2005 at 06:26 AM.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:04 PM
Contributing Member

not too beat a dead horse but it seems like the k&n filter lets too much dirt go in and the amsoil seems to have better filtration by what the majority of the threads say. course the poll has more people liking the k&n filters. so which one is it?
Old 05-06-2005, 06:37 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Lone4runner
course the poll has more people liking the k&n filters. so which one is it?
That's the problem with polls, they are not weighted by the credibility of those who vote. You could have a bunch of noobs who know nothing about engines, have never run anything but a stock filter and might even have trouble changing their own filters, vote for a brand because they saw an ad or heard a jingle.

If you are relying on a poll to make your maintanance decisions, there's no telling what you are going to end up with. You would do better to seek out those you trust and poll them, then do some research on your own to make the final decision.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by WATRD
That's the problem with polls, they are not weighted by the credibility of those who vote. You could have a bunch of noobs who know nothing about engines, have never run anything but a stock filter and might even have trouble changing their own filters, vote for a brand because they saw an ad or heard a jingle.

If you are relying on a poll to make your maintanance decisions, there's no telling what you are going to end up with. You would do better to seek out those you trust and poll them, then do some research on your own to make the final decision.
most of the people i knwo like something thats been around for a while and have had no problems which in this case aside from stock its gonna be the k&n. copurse gaget seems to be very convincing. oh well k&n itll be most likely .
Old 05-06-2005, 07:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Lone4runner
most of the people i knwo like something thats been around for a while and have had no problems which in this case aside from stock its gonna be the k&n. copurse gaget seems to be very convincing. oh well k&n itll be most likely .
Do what you believe in, then learn from there. Personally, my experience with K&N was much less than desireable, so I won't go that route ever again.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a K&N currently, mainly because I found it one day when I went to buy another paper filter to replace the soaked/muddy one before I knew amsoil made one. After hearing people complain I cleaned the inside of my intake really good to see what got past and really nothing did, I also read the bobistheoilguy.com review and I think that as far as filtering goes, k&n and amsoil are about the same, HOWEVER, it seems like if the filter gets hit with a large amount of water, due to the nature of the filter I think the Amsoil is able to block more of the water and thus more of the waterborne dirt than the K&N. As soon as I stop being a cheap bastard (aka when I feel I got my moneys worth and I have an extra $50) I am going to go with the Amsoil...

Quick Reply: Which air filter?