General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

In An Accident...Anything I Should Know? :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Insurance called today and they are going to total loss it Got too talk with them tomorrow and if the check is more than I paid for it, will just take my losses. Guess the long search for another perfect 4R for me begins...
Old 01-31-2011, 02:33 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
why let the insurance company win, take it to another shop or have another shop look at the photos. or tell them forget the insurance claim altogether and get it repaired yourself. I don't see having that mount repaired costing more than your deductible.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:38 PM

id still want the truck id hear their offer and say ok i want that and the truck
damage dosent look that bad
just a thought if you have a trade school near you call them the one by me fixes stuff like that for price of parts so the students can lern how to weld
would have to have something else to drive in the meantime though
Old 01-31-2011, 02:46 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Generally when your suspension is damaged in these older vehicles they'll just total it out.
Don't bow down, get the KBB value of your vehicle and ask for that..
Get the money. Buy the truck back, fix it however you want, and be on your merry way.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:49 PM

It is more than the mount. There are other things that need fixed. The mount is just the part that is apparently the non-orderable part. When it broke the whole axle shifted. What I can see the tie rod is also broken, the drive shaft is broken, I know there are other things that look out of place but I really don't know enough about these trucks to have full knowledge of what all needs fixed (only owned it a month). Plus there is also body damage that needs repairs. It unfortunately is above my knowledge.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:56 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
That's one reason why I had said take it somewhere else as well, the dealership is gonna quote the max it's gonna cost, insurance doesn't care, they will make their money back on the truck when they turn around and resell it.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:54 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I'll talk to them tomorrow to see if I can get it to another shop. The best shop I know of is probably Iron Pig but they are 3 hrs out at least.

If anyone knows of a good shop in or around central or western maryland please let me know. I'll check with my FJ group too.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:43 AM

the thing with insurance is you have the option to buy the truck back (for cheap) and fix it yourself. Athough if its a write off its going to be a salvage title and you are going to need to get it inspected before it gets on the road. So it's worthwhile to see if it will end up making sense financially.

And a rule of thumb, always reject the insurance companies first offer. Look up blue book values but also market price of similar 4runners online ads, classifieds, etc. Then give them a counter offer of a higher number.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:18 AM

If it were me... I would buy it back from the dealership and then sell it to someone on here!!
Old 02-01-2011, 07:19 AM

I mean buy it back from the insurance comp. My bad!!
Old 02-01-2011, 01:41 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
My '88 4Runner was rear ended when a friend borrowed it. $1200 to fix paid by insurance. My '97 was totaled when a friend borrowed it. I've never had an accident that was my fault. HMMM. Sorry about your loss and the hassle.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:25 PM

Looked the truck over again today. Now there is an oil leak coming from somewhere...sigh. I'm thinking it may be more hassle than I am looking for to but it back. Unless it is extremely cheap (played phone tag with insurance today). I have researched and what they are offering in payout is on par with the market values I've seen. First ever accident on my insurance and it wasn't my fault, hell not even in the car when it happened. That sucks. Think I will at least get an all expense paid night out on the town for this one lol