General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

3vze Hard Cold Start, No Power Until Warm

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3vze Hard Cold Start, No Power Until Warm

Hi another hard start thread (sorry I know but no other thread has been helpful to me). 3vze runs great at operating temp but on a cold engine I have to hold the gas for it to start. Additionally, until the engine has some register-able heat it wont hold idle and I have to dance on the gas to keep it from stalling while in neutral (noticeable misfire while this is happening). In gear, i can floor it and it wont rev above 2000 before its warm. As soon as the thermostat shows heat it's like a switch is flipped and the engine holds idle, pulls well. The warmer the engine is the more torque it seems to have and the easier it is to start. Also having a lot of misfire/backfiring while decelerating and at idle.

Also I live in southern california so when I say "cold" I mean 65 degrees.

No vacuum leaks, no codes, new fuel pressure regulator, new fuel filter, new fuel pump, distributor cap and rotor, ignition coil, battery, starter, spark plugs re gapped (all plugs were clean), timing is to spec, tps adjusted, clean throttle body, my "IAC" valve inside the TB is clean and working, tested resistance of VAFM, ECT relay, thermo time switch, my cold start injector checks out fine as well.

At this point I'm thinking bad or / leaking injectors, , fuel damper?, not enough fuel pressure at startup?, bad vafm?

I'm very limited on tools time and money so any direction to save some steps would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by brycetryce; 11-10-2017 at 10:59 PM.