General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

3VZE dies in hot weather - NEED HELP!

Old 06-27-2017, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3VZE dies in hot weather - NEED HELP!

I have a 94 pickup equipped with a 3.slow 3VZE that's giving me issues... big surprise. The problem started when I was driving through 100 degree weather and I lost all power and the car died. It would crank, but didn't want to fire. I gave it about 45 minutes and it finally fired up after cooling down. The temperature guage was smack dab in the middle, I had plenty of gas, and the car was running great until then.

I drove it about 350 miles after that, making it to Oregon from the Bay Area. Since I've been here, temperatures have rarely dipped below 95. It's died a few other times, each of them in the hottest part of the day. I replaced the fuel filter, distributor cap, rotor, and air flow meter thinking those were the issues but it died on me again.

It dies after driving for about 20 minutes and I have to let it sit and cool for it to start again. Every time it's died has been on the highway or fast road. I have also noticed a decrease in power since it died first.

I have a hunch that it's an intake air temp sensor, but I'm not sure.

The truck is currently my home for the next month and a half and is crucial for me to get to work so the situation is particularly stressful. Thank you guys in advance for your input, this site has saved my ass on the side of the highway more than once.

Search this Thread