General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

22RTE Megasquirt no start question

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22RTE Megasquirt no start question

Truck specs: '86 22rte, "Supra" 440cc injectors, engnbldr RV cam, OS valves, top mount manifold, t3/t4 turbo, intercooler and Megasquirt 2 standalone.

First off, Am I supposed to run the solenoid resistor with the "Supra" 440cc injectors? I have it hooked up right now but I'm not sure.
Today I tried to start my 4Runner after completing my build. After fixing some fuel/coolant leaks I cranked her for a while and it never started. Didn't even try to fire over. It cranks great and sounds "right" but just cranks. Yeah could be a number of things that I messed up with all the upgrades but I'm leaning towards an ignition/spark issue right now because it sounds great when it cranks. Just doesn't sound like it's firing. I'm getting fuel to the rail (fuel dampener gasket leaked) but it doesn't smell like gas from the exhaust.
I'm running the "22rte base start" download from megasquirt but not sure if I need to further change some setting to get it to start. I know I'll need to drive tune it but I need to just get it started so I can properly time it and bleed the coolant out.
It was late before the last time I tried to start it so I haven't really started diagnosing it yet but was hoping you guys could get me on the right path cause I've worked on the truck so much that I've become pretty blind to the little issues.

Last edited by Balzonya; 07-18-2017 at 10:38 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:27 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just what year Supra did your injectors come out of??

Did you spend the money for new injector pig tails ??

Then look at the print for the engine harness to see if they had a Solenoid Resistor .

Easy enough to check for spark.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:57 AM

I'll have to cross check the part numbers from the injectors cause I'm not actually sure but that's a good idea cause I never considered checking the shock vehicle for the resistor.
Yeah bought the pigtails from connectersfast.com

I should have just checked for spark last night but it was really late. I'll do that today and give an update later.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:36 AM

Ok so turns out I was following bad/outdated instructions or something cause I was only getting power to the fuel pump well cranking. It was from the AFM delete. Either misinterpreted the info or they were following the wrong wiring diagram. Anyway, fixed that and still wouldn't start. Basically didn't change anything.
Checked cap, coil, wires, plugs - all good and getting power/spark. Still coming back to "why the hell doesn't it smell like unburnt gas?"
well it turns out we're getting no power to the injectors. Which, after finding that out, makes a whole lot of sense.
Im getting no pulsewidth reading on megasquirt tuner program so it's down to a few choices
messed up the megasquirt in assembly
messed up the pigtails for the injectors
or messed up something when I deleted the solenoid resistor. Gonna redo that delete when I'm off work cause it was only temporary.
Pulled the megasquirt out last night so I'm gonna check my wiring and the main board for errors. Then check the injector wiring for errors.

Last edited by Balzonya; 07-20-2017 at 06:37 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any updates?