Tips & Tricks Tips and tricks to make the site easier to use such as posting pictures, where to host them, and avatars

EGR valve problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 03:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGR valve problems

Ok so my egr is bad so I just plugged the vacuum. My question is how to turn of the check engine light. I've tried using the 10k ohms resistor and light still comes on. Is there a direction on how to put the resistor on or how to install resistor? Im not sure if i put ot on correctly and dont know if there is a direction its suppose to be facing. Need some help on getting the light to turn off. I've tried 4 egr valves that we're used and all is leaking so I decided just to plug vacuum until I get a new one. Please any Information would be gratefully appreciated.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:06 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Mine's an '85 so I don't have that ecu sensor. However, I eventually got my original 32 year old valve working great so I'm thinking they're more durable than it seems. How do you know all 4 used valves were leaking? Could you hear a vac leak?

I'm asking because it's possible the wire to the ecu is corroded and sending a bad signal, which would make any valve seem bad and a resistor wouldn't give the computer the correct signal either.

I can't answer your question about resistors being directional or not cause I'm just getting familiar with electronics myself.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes I can hear a leak, but to make 100% sure it was leaking I took out the egr valves and tape all the holes on the bottom with aluminum tape and installed each one to test it but before testing it I poked a little hole on the tape and ran the truck on idle and put my finger there and I felt suction on all the egr valves when testing it. I'm pretty sure it's not suppose to leak there. I even test drive it with out the aluminum tape and it hesitates but when I completely tape it and drive it, no hesitation. I also keep getting the code for the EGR valve with and with out the tape covering the holes. So I plugged the vacuum and covered all the holes just until I get a new EGR. In the mean time I'm trying to get rid of the engine light by using the 10k resistor but but the engine light came back on.