Announcements Announcements and news by Staff to let the community know what we are up to at YotaTech

Banner Picture submissions

Old 01-06-2006, 08:46 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Banner Picture submissions

If you would like your rig featured in our new banner created by WATRD and Calrockx, here is what you need to know.

1. Pictures must be sized at 133x100
2. Less than 10 kb each
3. And a maximum of 3 pictures.
4. name pictures username1.jpg, username2.jpg, ect...
5. JPG files only, no GIFs.

Current pictures up now I will rename to new format tomorrow, but not future ones.
Please name them correctly.

Pics sized wrong or to high in kb will be rejected.
I can not reply to the emails or fix your pictures for you.

Submit them to c.tando at comcast dot net
No longer using the YT addy.

Fix the email address above to reflect the true address.
It is done this way to prevent email bot harvesters from sending me more nasty spam
Old 01-06-2006, 09:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Corey had indeed been busy for us! Thank You!

I have one suggestion though. Could the WATRD/CalrocksX duo code a loop that will check the banner so that:
a) two images don't appear twice?
b) maybe even have it read file names (which would include a username) so that it doesn't show two images of the same user at the same time.

It would definately be some work, but I believe it would be worth it, some might disagree. I am available for any help!

EDIT on that: Maybe it's completely unnecessary, becuase as more pix are added, chances of the same showing decrease. I'll just keep the ideas up just in case.

Now to the good stuff!

IMAGE RESIZING
I have just submitted an imagine of my own truck, and I have noticed that if you are resizing from a digital image taken by a camera, getting the filesize right is not easy business sometimes.

Therefore, since I know many people don't have photoshop, I am willing to resize images for people so that they could submit it to Corey.

The way it would work is that you send me your original image to MARKO3XL3 AT GMAIL DOT COM (format to work, of course) as an attachment with the filename being in the same format as Corey's: "username1.jpg", "username2.jpg", "username3.jpg". The exception would be if your username ends in a number. Then, please use the following scheme: "username_1.jpg","username_2.jpg","username_3.jpg" .

I will convert the image to meet req's and then send it back to YOU (e-mail you sent it from) so that you can then e-mail it to Corey.

No, I am not in some kind of image stealing business, I am just doing this on my own time to help people on this board. Really, hehe! Let's get this banner started!

Last edited by marko3xl3; 01-06-2006 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:08 PM
Banned

do the pics have to be of our truck?
Old 01-06-2006, 09:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by marko3xl3
I have one suggestion though. Could the WATRD/CalrocksX duo code a loop that will check the banner so that:
a) two images don't appear twice?
b) maybe even have it read file names (which would include a username) so that it doesn't show two images of the same user at the same time.

It would definately be some work, but I believe it would be worth it, some might disagree. I am available for any help!

EDIT on that: Maybe it's completely unnecessary, becuase as more pix are added, chances of the same showing decrease. I'll just keep the ideas up just in case.
I can and will add logic to weed out duplicate images if it still seems to be needed after the pool of images gets a bit bigger. I didn't do it originally because, as you mentioned, the problem will be less as the pool grows in size. I hate to make the code any more complex than it needs to be if the problem is going to go away on it's own.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:30 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

A reminder
Read above what the pics should be named, or I will trash 'em.

I will rename the current ones in rotation tomorrow.

It is easier to have them named the way I have it above for maintaining them.

The ones that are coming up double now are doing this until I rename them tomorrow.

All in goodtime, time for bed
Old 01-06-2006, 09:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by WATRD
I can and will add logic to weed out duplicate images if it still seems to be needed after the pool of images gets a bit bigger. I didn't do it originally because, as you mentioned, the problem will be less as the pool grows in size. I hate to make the code any more complex than it needs to be if the problem is going to go away on it's own.
That is true, I have quickly realized that. I just had an idea spark and had to share it.

One more thing. In the other thread you mentioned that images should be kept to .jpg for simplicity. Well, with a 10kb size limit, that's next to impossible. You'd have to use .gif. The quality downgrade won't be noticable as it is a small image.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:34 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Rob, will GIFs work too, or will it conflict?
I will check this thread tomorrow.
Been up since 2 am.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by marko3xl3
One more thing. In the other thread you mentioned that images should be kept to .jpg for simplicity. Well, with a 10kb size limit, that's next to impossible. You'd have to use .gif. The quality downgrade won't be noticable as it is a small image.
At 133x100 and 72dpi, hardly any compression is required to get the image under 10k. I can turn them out all day.

In theory, .gif files will work, but I have not tested it. Of course the color depth of .gif files can be pretty bad.

I recommend sticking with .jpg files, since that is what the script outputs anyway.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:44 PM
Contributing Member

Okay, I just tested it. It DOES NOT render .gif files. I am not sure why, but I am not going to put a lot of work into it unless Corey requires it.

So, that means .jpg images ONLY.

And, BTW, I just converted a 9.7k .jpg file to .gif and it ended up at 12.3k .jpg is the way to go.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:47 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

No, JPGs only.
I know for a fact that GIFs are always bigger in file size than a JPG.
Lets stick with what works, and for simplicity.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:50 PM
Contributing Member

So, no more reading posts for me. Just sitting here, hitting f5, looking at the pretty banner. I'll be here if you need me.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And, BTW, I just converted a 9.7k .jpg file to .gif and it ended up at 12.3k .jpg is the way to go.
Yeah... The only compression that GIF suports is RLL (Run Length Limited) and it can't cross a horizontal barrier so many times GIFs will be larger than a source JPG.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:09 PM
Contributing Member

Okay, I just tested it. It DOES NOT render .gif files. I am not sure why, but I am not going to put a lot of work into it unless Corey requires it.

So, that means .jpg images ONLY.

You guys are right, I kept trying to save a JPG in photoshop the normal way and the lowest quality looked like crap and was still > 10kb. I forgot that "Save for web..." can also be used to save JPG's for the web. It keeps it a good quality and a low filesize, how, I dunno, but it does so that's good.

My offer above still stands though. If anyone needs resizing, see above.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:51 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tulsa_97SR5
So, no more reading posts for me. Just sitting here, hitting f5, looking at the pretty banner. I'll be here if you need me.
fewww i thought i was the only one... who did that.. i try to see how many itmes i can get my truck to show up on 1 banner

it took alot of f5's to do that

Last edited by ToferUOP; 01-06-2006 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by ToferUOP
...it took alot of f5's to do that
psssst... Instead of loading up the server by using F5 or CTRL-R or other things to refresh the whole page, click on this link and just refresh that. (it's the call to the PHP script that's generating the page)

https://www.yotatech.com/banner/banner.php
Old 01-07-2006, 03:04 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ToferUOP
fewww i thought i was the only one... who did that.. i try to see how many itmes i can get my truck to show up on 1 banner

it took alot of f5's to do that

hmm, so it's not just me. the centerpiece isn't showing up as:
Old 01-07-2006, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by calrockx
hmm, so it's not just me. the centerpiece isn't showing up as:
Nope...

Is the script pointing right? or is there a server cache that's messing with ya'? did ya' try changing the name of the centerpiece?
Old 01-07-2006, 06:42 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Cal, that was Rob's pic in the center.
There is a way to make a folder and have the script rotate centerpieces too, and it is being worked on.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:35 AM
Contributing Member

ahh i see. it's working now
Old 01-07-2006, 07:37 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Just yours is in there now.
Rob has to re-write the script again and will make it so we can have numerous centerpieces.

Also he is working on code to get rid of two exact pics showing up in one instance, saw that a few times.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Banner Picture submissions