Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

zuk coil mod on front axle?? please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cman1
update, they were 117.00 shipped from 4wheelparts.
That is actually pretty reasonable, I went on their website I only see rear springs listed under pro comp and toyota, but they have the front springs on ebay for that price. I guess thats my backup plan for the front, but zuk coils are definitely going on the rear leafs either way.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:45 AM

I think you can get procomp lift springs pretty cheaply on amazon
Old 03-23-2013, 10:16 PM

I just realized the stock shocks were limiting the droop. I need to take them off and measure. I'm starting to think I may need longer springs now. Ill have to measure again
Old 03-24-2013, 11:53 AM

OK I have decided to get the pro-comp 4" lift springs on ebay, they are $60 a side and I can't pass that up. Pro Comp #31212R and #31211L.

Does anyone know which shocks I should order with these, like length or model number?
I saw some nice ones that are 22.5" extended will that work?

I am getting a dropped drag link for now, longer brake lines, and doing something with the sway bar.

But what do i need in u bolt and plate department? I really need this dumbed down a little bit for me.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:58 AM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Google search it's faster and nobody will blast you for not searching first

Type this in to google and check all the pages if you still don't find it then ask again

site yotatech what lenghy shocks do i need for my 4" lift
Old 03-27-2013, 08:28 AM

well I did that but there is so much conflicting information to go through.
I figured it out though just trying to decide between the rough country 3" lift kit which is reasonable at just over $300, or do I piece together my own using 4" springs and grab whatever shocks I get a good deal on.

all their kit has extra is like u bolts and spacers for the sway bar.
Im not sure most people even use their sway bar on a lift from what I have read, and I think I can get new u bolts at most auto places or order online, so I am leaning towards 4" edit* pro comp lift (not all pro)

I have searched and read through all the old threads for days, there just wan't a clear cut answer on part numbers except for the rough country and others that are listed for 3-4" of lift.

I wanted to look into monroe's for a 4" lift, but all I saw were the charts of lengths posted. I thought enough people have done the 4" lift to help out with specific part numbers.

Last edited by 85Hilux; 03-27-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by 85Hilux
well I did that but there is so much conflicting information to go through.
I figured it out though just trying to decide between the rough country 3" lift kit which is reasonable at just over $300, or do I piece together my own using all pro 4" springs and grab whatever shocks I get a good deal on.

all their kit has extra is like u bolts and spacers for the sway bar.
Im not sure most people even use their sway bar on a lift from what I have read, and I think I can get new u bolts at most auto places or order online, so I am leaning towards 4" all pro lift.

I have searched and read through all the old threads for days, there just wan't a clear cut answer on part numbers except for the rough country and others that are listed for 3-4" of lift.

I wanted to look into monroe's for a 4" lift, but all I saw were the charts of lengths posted. I thought enough people have done the 4" lift to help out with specific part numbers.
I think the allpro are not bolt on you have to weld new hangers and it moves your axle forward and you need a completely new steering , cross over steering because it moves your front axle forward . maybe some old man emu https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclien...=1437&bih=1006 I dont have them but they get good reviews and they are bolt on no welding , I dont have them but they get good reviews and they supposedly only lift the truck like 2 1/2 "

Last edited by 85toy4runner; 03-27-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:39 AM

are you sure I already ordered them, I didn't hear anything about moving the mounts, that would really not be good.

EDIT*** wait a minute I just realized they are not all pro- they are pro comp 4" springs.

I think you are right about the all pro's needing the hanger moved, but it looks like the pro comp are stock length.

Last edited by 85Hilux; 03-27-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:13 AM

are you sure I already ordered them, I didn't hear anything about moving the mounts, that would really not be good.

EDIT*** wait a minute I just realized they are not all pro- they are pro comp 4" springs.

I think you are right about the all pro's needing the hanger moved, but it looks like the pro comp are stock length.
yeah ok , pro comp are prob bolt on , ok , hope it works out great .are you getting bigger tires for you 4inch lift

Last edited by 85toy4runner; 03-27-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
have you thought of taking all the leaves out except the main one to locate the axle and heavier coils. it would probably ride wayyyyy better
Old 03-27-2013, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by 85toy4runner
yeah ok , pro comp are prob bolt on , ok , hope it works out great .are you getting bigger tires for you 4inch lift
Thanks, I have tundra wheels and tires on right now, I think they are like 30-31" stock. I will be getting bigger tires in the future, I realize it will look funny for now but I am going to look for some 33's I think that will be a good size.

Originally Posted by blake.nemitz
have you thought of taking all the leaves out except the main one to locate the axle and heavier coils. it would probably ride wayyyyy better
You mean if I was doing the Zuk mod still? The problem was that the drag link was too close to where the coil would go, so I would have had to put it somewhere else along the spring, or hope crossover would clear which there is a good chance it wouldn't also. so yeah lift springs in the front, going to simplify. The 3 or 4 link stuff looks cool but I wasn't prepared for that amount of fab.

I got the front 4" pro comp springs, trying to find a suitable monroe shock for the front.
I found the right set for the rear with a 4" lift I think the part number is Monroe 34930. the bottom eyelet may need a different size bushing from what I can tell but that could be easily changed out. still doing the zuk mod on the rear =)
Old 03-27-2013, 02:37 PM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
OK I have decided to get the pro-comp 4" lift springs on ebay, they are $60 a side and I can't pass that up. Pro Comp #31212R and #31211L.

Does anyone know which shocks I should order with these, like length or model number?
I saw some nice ones that are 22.5" extended will that work?

I am getting a dropped drag link for now, longer brake lines, and doing something with the sway bar.

But what do i need in u bolt and plate department? I really need this dumbed down a little bit for me.
Sure that's not for just an AAL?....edit---did more research and that really does look like a full lift pack...with red poly bushes 32 pounds per side and free shipping...jeez. Not bad.

Last edited by ZUK; 03-27-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:27 PM

Yeah I was impressed too, not much reason to reinvent the wheel with lift springs for that price. the poly bushings alone to rebush the stockers are like $20.
ordered some pro comp shocks all around to match, plan to gather the last stuff for the swap.

I went on Marlins site to get U bolts, and they have some conflicting info.
My front axle has 2 square shaped U bolts on both sides, and they are saying I should get 2 square and 2 round long? I mean that doesn't make any sense right. that must be talking about the flip kit now that I think about it.
I think Im going to go ahead and get 4 square ones. On my 85 passenger side both are 8", on the drivers are both 7".

Still doing the Zuk mod in the rear, gonna see If I can match the front lift with the front tj coils, cause they are pretty long. they may need to become a bit shorter.

Last edited by 85Hilux; 03-27-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tj coils are really stiff,14"100# blackmagic coils are more than enough.

Last edited by cman1; 03-27-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:58 PM

you think those will match the 4" lift in the front?
Ill try it with the tj first and go from there. By then I should know the height I need.
I also have the 12" rear TJ coils, but I am not sure they are going to get the job done.

anyone have a recommendation on where to get u-bolts.

Last edited by 85Hilux; 03-27-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:51 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Let us know if you use the 12 rear springs as I have a set of front and rear TJ springs as well and have been curious which would be better for my rear spring mod
Old 03-27-2013, 09:00 PM

Will do, the front coil is a little longer than 16". The rear are 12"
Ill post what the end result is.
What lift do you have in the front?
Old 03-29-2013, 10:57 AM

Does anyone know what length the bump stop extensions are on the front 4" pro comp kit.
I see they are 2 aluminum plates that attach at the top, I am thinking maybe 2" but if someone has them or knows that would be great.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:22 PM

well the 4" front lift is complete, and as I went to do the rear zuk mod my rear driver bump stop disintegrated as soon as I touched it, so looks like I need to get bottom perches.
sort of stuck right now trying to figure out where to get these fabbed, hopefully I can figure out a good solution soon.

state of the truck right now, I parked it on a decline so it doesn't look as bad.

Also figured out a good way to have an extendable torque rod, just resprayed one of my old rear shocks with 2 metal washers on top and bottom.

Last edited by 85Hilux; 04-08-2013 at 10:00 PM. Reason: sp
Old 04-08-2013, 09:51 PM

Made some coil perches no welding needed, just some newer style bump stops and the ford coil perches from ebay.

so I found the newer style bump stops which have a raised metal part in the middle.
Mine are perfectly flat for some reason, but the raised one is made much stronger,
and because its raised, you can bolt/weld something to the top and still get the U bolts on.
Cut/chiseled the bump stop off of it.

It not perfectly flat once you scrape the rubber off, there is a slight hump so I set it on the conrete and hit it with the hammer twice and it came out perfectly flat. then cleaned it up, and drill out a hole for a M8 bolt.
I wanted it to be really flat before bolting the perch to it.
Bent the tabs on the sides to more of an angle so I can slip the U bolts on from the side.

Side picture to see how they connect, already confirmed the U bolts fit.

Im gonna try the 16" TJ coils and cut them down if needed, the 12" were very short.
Also going to try and put a capture feature using a bolt on the side.

Last edited by 85Hilux; 04-08-2013 at 10:02 PM.

Quick Reply: zuk coil mod on front axle?? please help