Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Whining sound from under plenum

Old 07-05-2012, 06:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whining sound from under plenum

So yesterday my truck was left on a pretty steep incline but was able to start and run fine but this morning I went to start it and it'll turn on but nothing after that, battery is till good. No sound from the starter "that I could hear" and there is a sort or whining sound from under the plenum. I have done some searching an couldn't find much, all I could find is vehicles being on slopes and not being able to start at the moment. I am at work right now so I'm trying to get some things to check when I get home, any help?
Old 07-05-2012, 02:25 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Check all the fuses. There is an ignition fuse in the fuse box behind the driver side kick panel. Also make sure the conections on the starter are tight.

Last edited by myyota; 07-05-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:58 PM

once I had the starter mounting bolts wiggle loose and thus the ground was broken and no electricity would flow. be sure to check those too.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:46 PM

Okay well I checked the ingniter cable and did my best to check everything around the starter. the started however is clicking (I hope that's good). I had a very long day so my brain is completely dead but I did jump TE1 and E1 and got code 22? Two flashes, short pause, two flashes, long pause and repeat. The over drive light was also flashing, never seen that before but code 22 looks like this, WATER TEMPERATURE SENSOR SIGNAL--OPEN OR SHORT IN WATER TEMP. SENSOR SIGNAL

--WATER TEMPERATURE SENSOR CIRCUIT

--WATER TEMPERATURE SENSOR

--ECU
Old 07-05-2012, 06:48 PM

And if it was the starter, wouldn't I be seeing problems with it before it just stopped working? I know the ingniter can die at very random times so I'm trying to find a 3.0 engine to hook it up too and see if that is the problem. A 22re ingniter wouldn't work would it?
Old 07-05-2012, 07:01 PM

the click is probably the starter solenoid closing. which means you have power through the control circuit, but you may not have the power through the starter motor. I have a 22r so I'm not as familiar with the engine codes, but I know the starter could just crap out for many reasons: bad ground, bad power connections, blown fuses, bad brushes, general failure.

In my experience, its probably the starter. Check the fuses first then take it out and bring it into napa or the like and have it tested. it's two bolts and some squeezing out from the engine bay.

I would bet that the water temp signal is unrelated since it has nothing to do with starting.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:07 PM

Well I checked the fuses and they are all good, so i'm guessing that Napa would hook it up to a fancy dancy machine and tell me if it's good or not? If they tell me the starter is good then where would I go? Track down the wires until I find little mouse chew marks?
Old 07-05-2012, 07:18 PM

they do have a fancy dancey machine! but if the starter is ok, then it's gotta be a bad electrical connection, which is only one wire (assuming the solenoid circuit is ok). I had a starter issues solved by just removing the starter, cleaning the contact surface, and reinstalling.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:24 PM

Thanks man! I'll look into it, or do my best, i'm terrible at working on cars, i don't know what i'm looking for really nor do i have the patience for myself, lacking of tools is also an issue but I found a good looking write up on how to remove it, https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech...imrockford.htm But If Napa tells me it's okay how would I go about cleaning the contact surface?
Old 07-05-2012, 07:34 PM

yeah it's a really easy removal. 2 bolts, 2 wires, and like that writeup recommends, pull it out through the wheel well. I've done it from above too, but whatever's easiest. just wipe clean the surface that touches the bell housing with a rag. no biggie. make sure the bolts are tight and the connections are solid on install. that's all.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:53 PM

SO i got off work a little early today so i'm gonna go mess with it. My boss said that I can connect the battery wire and key wire with a screw driver and try starting it and it should start. I also went and talked to my mechanic and asked him a couple questions, he said that getting it to start with a screw driver can be tricky and is unlikely. He then told me too have someone turn it over while I listen and if I hear 1 hard click, the connections are bad and if it's multiple, kinda like a dead battery then that means my starter is bad. I may have mixed the two up but does that sound about right? And he was also asking me if the v6 had the solenoid on the bottom? If the starter is upside down? I have no clue so if i'm looking at the starter threw the pass. wheel well is the solenoid on the top, bottom, left, right etc?
Old 07-06-2012, 05:12 PM

seriously, with all the time spent asking people, you could have had the starter out and tested and be done with it.

anyway, the starter can only go in one way. yes you can try the screwdriver trick, but why. All that does is jump the solenoid. The click you hear is probably the solenoid closing the circuit, but no power is flowing through. If it's a bad solenoid, you have to get a new starter anyway since they are all one unit. Take it out and have it tested. Its free and a new one costs less than $100 with a lifetime warranty. get out your wrench and take the thing out. done.