Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Wheel bearings - check my work?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel bearings - check my work?

Hi guys,

Replacing my front driver's side WB's, since on the way home yesterday it sounded like I had a Big Wheel for a front tire. Knew they needed doing, anyway. I've gone thru the FSM and Haynes, and think I've got it but would like any suggestions re. what I plan.

I've got it all apart with no real surprises. The damn dust boot, attached to the dust plate/knuckle (7 holes?) I have on order so I have some time here. I have the rest of the parts.

Going to: change the rotor (this one is too crusty!), knock out the inner race w/brass punch, install new race, grease it all and should be good to go, right? My friend schooled me on the 'torque it to 40 lbs., spin wheel' routine, etc., then go hand-tight plus 1/16th turn, to get somewhere near a decent preload. I've also been thru the several good guides linked thru here. I just always like to ask in case I'm missing something!

> How can I tell if my spindle is ok? No evident signs of 'damage', but there are some light 'spin marks' on the inner surface....

> How long can I go before I need to do the same on the other side? Good practice-wise, I mean....I plan on doing it in about 2 weeks when I get the cash again. I'll probably only have it around town 1 week before doing the other side.

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2012, 08:47 AM

Well, you know what preload is, so you probably got most of it covered. 40 ft-lbs seems a bit much for torque. I just spin it around and gently tighten until it feels right. Give it a good spin and if it only goes 1/2 to 3/4 turn on its own, put a nail in it.

There is a pull-scale method off the lug nuts but never tried that or needed to as this is not very common problem with Yota's. IME
Old 04-21-2012, 08:52 AM

Thanks, Six...yeah, I read that 27 ft lbs is good for preloading it, and that's probably where I'll go to. Then, just hand tight plus a bit more with the big socket?

Trying to get my old rotor off the hub (not on truck, sheesh). Where's my hammer??
At least the races came right out for me w/brass punch....pretty worn and beat!

Found the inner 'dust seal' (the 7 bolts right on the metal plate), but gotta wait til Fri to pick it up :o( So I have time to paint my hubs, LOL. $34 for that piece of ****.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:21 AM

Got the hub out (hand sledge). Can I clean this pig out with some GUNK? With the scale and whatnot, it's pretty gritty in there! Can't have that.

Tested new bearing fit on the spindle....the rear is so tight it'll be a 'press fit' to get it on...the outer has a mild gap. A feeler gauge of .008" won't even get in the gap, tho. Does that seem close to normal?
Thanks!

Guess I'm askin', how can I be sure my spindle isn't too worn?

Last edited by GuitarMike; 04-21-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:45 PM

Couple of brain cells later - oh, the spindle is toasted if the front inner race won't fit tightly.
Crap.

Time for a boneyard replacement!
Old 04-22-2012, 10:10 AM

Skipped the rear 'dust seal', and DONE! Buddy said my spindle is fine. Noise is gone :o)