Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Warn Winch and ARB Bullbar install question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warn Winch and ARB Bullbar install question.

I used the search feature and could not find my answer so I am asking you guys.

I have been trying to install my new Warn XD9000 winch in my new ARB Bullbar and its been frustrating to say the least. My main gripe is with the instructions, it apears that they were written for mechanic that knows what hes doing. But for me, they are next to worthless, "attach control box to bullbar" does absolutely nothing for me, so I have had to figure it out on my own.

The small black wire labeled "motor ground" or something to that effect that comes out of the control box, where does it go? I read the manual and they don't even mention it. The cable is really short so I can't see how I would attach it to anything other than the bumper somewhere, but i would like a real informed answer before I ruin my 800 dollar winch.

Bonus question, do I need to make a duel battery set up for my winch? I read some article where they said you did, but that article was over 10 years old. Is my crappy costco battery enough to power the car and winch? I do plan on getting a nicer optima battery this summer, will that be enough?

thanks.

PS: its a 98 4runner SR5 with a v6 says 3400 on the engine block, i guess that means 3.4 litre?
Old 04-25-2006, 09:00 PM

Their instructions do leave a lot to be desired..

the control box is the black box with the red W on it that the wires go in and out of, the bullbar is the bumper, you should have a bronze colored bracket to attach the control box to the bumper in the middle on the top..

I am prettty sure the small black wire is just to ground the control box... when in doubt call ARB or Warn

No you dont have to install a dual battery setup. When the engine is running its the alternator that does the powering, for the most part, so when winching be sure to have the RPM's up higher than idle..
Old 04-26-2006, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by AH64ID
I am prettty sure the small black wire is just to ground the control box...
yes, but where?
Old 04-26-2006, 12:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
on my ARB for the second gen trucks they include holes with nutserts for mounting lights.

i assume there is a simular thing on the 3rd gen bumpers. Id put a loop crimp end on the little wire and bolt it to one of light mount holes.

on my second gen ARB there were brackets and holes on the top to mount the remote soloid pack. I assume the 3rd gen has the same thing? those would be 2 more holes you could mount to.

Ground the bumper to the winch, and the winch to the battery. (i wouldnt rely on the bumper frame connection for a good ground)