Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Timing Chain Disaster

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing Chain Disaster

First post here on the tech, have read many posts regarding this issue none like mine so i thought id start here.

I got whats to be my first project truck 87 xtra cab, auto, 144k, for $900 not long ago, PO said its using coolant so my first thought was head gasket. Read forums about that and decided to do new HG, Timing chain, Guides, gaskets etc. started in (first time on a 22re) and got intake and exhaust manifolds removed, PS pump, Raditor, and oil pan seeing shards of TC guide as expected and a few aluminum chunks (not good) got the engine set at TDC pulled distibutor without marking (regretting that) pulled Valve cover seeing cam mark at 12:00 (did not see bright link on chain) i saw the drivers side guide was gone and major wearing into the TC housing , while loosening the crank bolt with ratchet ( shoulve done with starter i know) while turning the engine over CCW obviously to loosen the bolt while doing this the motor seemed to seize almost then came loose with a crunch noise by the timing chain gear on the crank, again obviously not good. Did this probably 1 or 2 more times while trying to get the crank bolt loose finally got it loose and go to set it back at TDC and the cam gear is sitting at a little past 1 now. I decided to pull the TC housing (not sure if this was a good idea or not) i found the flanges around the crank gear all busted off and Timing chain had wore right though to the coolant system. Not sure what to do now?? Did i jump a link or 2? If so whats my next step? Any help is much appreciated, Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Timing Chain Disaster-truck.jpg   Timing Chain Disaster-tc-cover-wearing.jpg   Timing Chain Disaster-jimmys-toyota-pickup.jpg   Timing Chain Disaster-coolant-chamber.jpg   Timing Chain Disaster-cam-1-oclock.jpg  

Old 08-02-2017, 12:32 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Well if you had antifreeze mixing with the oil it does not like bearing material.

If the engine has been run like that.

You might be looking at replacing of the broken parts and a full engine rebuild.

Was this engine running when you bought the truck ??

Was it knocking??
Old 08-02-2017, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes the truck was running when I tore into it and it did not have a noticeable knock to it. The engine had been ran with coolant in the oil for an unknown amount of miles. The PO said it did not have coolant in the oil so he ran it like that for about a year not putting very many miles on like 2500 roughly. Assuming that coolant in the oil is what caused the sludge on the bottom of the valve cover and valves?

Last edited by Yota_Power; 08-02-2017 at 06:18 AM.