Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Timing Belt Alignment

Old 08-29-2010, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing Belt Alignment

Hello, I've recently replaced the timing belt on my 94 4runner 3VZE engine. I'm pretty experienced with other makes of vehicles, but this is my first 4runner. The running condition prior to recent purchase is unknown, although the previous owner stated that it was only in need of a oil pump, as the oil pressure had dropped, it was shut off and parked. I ended up replacing the oil pump, water pump, and timing belt. I pulled the spark plugs and there was no sign of oil burning or rich fuel mixture and all cylinders were burning nice and clean. When I pulled the pan to replace the pump, there was little to no sludge and just a little brass dust in the mix. Since reassembly, it has been running really rough to the point that it will only idle for a few seconds, then die. I followed the shop manual's instructions with regard to aligning both cam wheels, the crank pulley with the TDC marks and the marks on the belt. Everything lined-up, but I found that the each cam pulley had what seemed two TDC marks, one that was stamped into the backing plate and then a painted white dot that was an eighth of an inch to the right of either pressed mark. Which one is the correct TDC indication. If I was a tooth off, would it even start? Thanks is advance.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:07 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There prolly was no oiling issue. EVERYBODY thinks the oil pressure is low, b/c they can't read. It expressly says where the gauge should be at in the owners manual.

2nd, I'd run a compression test. It's pretty common for #5 or 6 to go out...

3rd, two marks are new to me... There should be arrows on the cam wheels. Those are the ones I remember using, and I was told to use via FSM or Chilton's.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember seeing the mark on the cam wheels when I replaced the timing belt on my 92 V6 pick up and on my ex 93 V6 pickup. If you're off a little I would imagine it would still idle just not very good. Good luck and keep us posted.