Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Is there suppose to be Fluid in Coil/Igniter??

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 10:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Is there suppose to be Fluid in Coil/Igniter??

Trying to track down why I have a slight misfire Idle-2000rpm. The reason I just failed NV SMOG, HC=850>220.

Timing is 5*
New fuel filter
Vacuum steady 17.5
Compression all 4cyl= 143-154
spark at all four plugs
New O2 sensor
New oil/filter
All new vacuum lines
Valves adj .008/.011

Throwing a Code #5= O2open/closed sensor/ciruit/ECM and a slight misfire "blump-blump" from tailpipe and backfire from muffler and sometimes intake on compresson slowdowns....

1) Testing the Coil/Igniter; took it out and when I shake it I can hear fluid/water?? of some kind sloshing around...... ?!? Is that suppose to be there?

2) Can a dry/shrunk oil dipstick rubber stopper be a "source" of unmetered/unaccounted for by AFM, air into crankcase and through EGR into combustion chamber and past the O2 causing the ECM to dump rich thus a misfire thus tripping the CODE #5?? Because my rubber stopper is doing nothing to seal the tube to the crank case, dipstick just bounces and jiggles around in the tube. But top end EFI/ Brake Booster is holding vacuum at a steady 17.5 so maybe not a "vacuum leak"?
Old 04-06-2017, 10:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok, just did some more googling and they are oil filled..... was really hoping that was my problem..... Any help on the other stuff would be great still.....
Old 04-07-2017, 05:53 PM

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
I just replied to another thread you posted in about this. The dip stick and tube is considered part of the PCV system, so a proper seal there would be ideal. Is your cold start injector leaking? Or cold start time switch out of spec? Both would/could cause added fuel without the presence of a vacuum leak.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:23 PM

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts