Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Replacing power steering pump

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 08:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah, that's on of those "chock it up to experience" things,
IIRC the only marking on mine was on the side (like in between the two hose thingies) it was just something stamped in the plastic, and visible from the top, but that wont really help you out because your vacuum hoses can get twisted around,

Hopefully you'll get lucky and find one that is still installed (or you can find someone with a truck like yours) and figure out which hose goes where, but again that will only help if you know which hose is the inlet and which is the outlet on the aircontrol valve (from the pump)

sorry we could help you out too much with that part!
Old 11-06-2007, 08:52 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought there was a raised dot by one side ...
Old 11-06-2007, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by tc
I thought there was a raised dot by one side ...
You are right, there is a raised dot on one side of the valve,

this was bugging the crap out of me so I went out an looked at my truck,

the side with the raised dot has the vacuum hose going to the lower attachment on the back of the intake

slowheelin: I hope this helps, and again take this with a grain of salt, because I know that I put the hoses back where they were, and I haven't had any problems, but who knows if the previous owner or anyone else ever switched them by mistake

I just thought of one other helpful hint, you may not have run into this, but when you are tightening the valve down, make sure that the brass thing (lookes like a huge jet for a carb) inside isn't cockeyed, you'll notice if the valve looks like it is sticking out way too much, the same thing happened when I was putting the pressure lin on the pump
Old 11-07-2007, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I still have the golf tee in the lower hose but I don't think that matters anymore. I'm gonna go with the "if the idle changes when the wheels turn then it's hooked up correctly." I learned that the valve sends pressure to the idle control to bump up the idle up to increase the rpms of the pump to help with the power steering at lower rpms. So from my powers of deduction I figure that if there's no PS at lower rpms then the hoses are backwards. Isn't there a diagram of this system somewhere?? All I can find is the emissions control vacuum diagrams....

b.miller;
I'll check the brass thingies before I assemble everything, thanks for that.

You guys have been very helpful with this, I appreciate it.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:41 PM

no problem, this site is great for stuff like this, I don't know if I ever found the vacuum diagram that had those in it, does your hood still have the diagrams on it? it might be on those?
Old 11-07-2007, 08:49 PM
Contributing Member

I want to offer my condolences... tc and I both have 93 V6's and they both have NO ROOM to work on anything esp the starter and PS pump...

Gawd why oh why did toyota shoe-horn all that into the front???
Old 11-08-2007, 06:09 AM

Lysmachia, It's not so bad in there. It's leaps and bounds better than the Ford Focus I use to have, talk about no room to work!!!

b.miller, I'll check under the hood.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Lysmachia
I want to offer my condolences... tc and I both have 93 V6's and they both have NO ROOM to work on anything esp the starter and PS pump...

If you think a ps pump is bad, try installing an aftermarket a/c system, in an apartment parking lot, in the rain, with the wife calling every ten minutes to ask if I'm done yet
Old 11-15-2007, 07:00 PM

I got the new air control valve today. Well actually another power steering pump with the air control valve attached to it, the junk yard wouldn't part with just the valve but it was still cheaper than going to the dealer. This weekend I should have my rig back on the road. One more question..... How do I know if the belt is tight enough? Is there a special tool I need to measure the tension? Can I just pull up on the pump 'till everything feels right? Thanks again guys.

Last edited by slowheelin; 11-15-2007 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:58 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by slowheelin
How do I know if the belt is tight enough? Is there a special tool I need to measure the tension? Can I just pull up on the pump 'till everything feels right? Thanks again guys.
That's how I do it, then check the deflection of the belt, should move a little, but not much.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:54 PM

Well, how did this go so far?

Don't forget: ATF, ATF, ATF!

Originally Posted by Lysmachia

Would you rather they put everything at the back of the engine?
Old 11-17-2007, 09:17 AM

Almost there. I have the pump in (without breaking anything) the belt is on, the air control valves are on and everything is tightened up. Woohoo
I ran into a small glitch hooking up the pressure hose though. The hose has a little bracket thing on the bottom of it which is hitting the pump body when the hose is installed. The old pump has a longer connector so the bracket isn't an issue. I was going to use the old connector on the new pump but the end (the part that goes in the pump) is different than the new one. My better judgement says cut off the bracket and use the parts that came with the new pump. I'm off to the hardware store to buy a cut-off wheel for the compressor! Good excuse to but tools. *grunting noises*

Oh yeah, is ATF and power steering fluid the same thing???? The AutoZone guys say it's the same stuff. I got Valvoline SuperSyn PS fluid 'cause I couldn't find the right ATF. Is that okay??

Last edited by slowheelin; 11-17-2007 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:09 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Oh yeah, is ATF and power steering fluid the same thing???? The AutoZone guys say it's the same stuff. I got Valvoline SuperSyn PS fluid 'cause I couldn't find the right ATF. Is that okay??
No, take it back and get ATF. I've been running Mobil 1 ATF.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:03 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I've been running mine with PS fluid since I rebuilt it about 6 months ago. No problems yet. I don't even use the synthetic either. I know there's another guy on here that does too. He hasn't had any trouble running his with that valvoline synthetic that you bought. Give it to me if you don't want it. j/k

My advice is don't mix, use one or the other.

Oh, my observations are also a quieter running pump with the PS fluid. Not a whole lot, just a little maybe. It used to groan at me louder when it strained with the ATF.

Last edited by MudHippy; 11-17-2007 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:50 PM

I went back and got the ATF. The job is all done now and I'm back on the road. The steering is so nice and smooth now. I haven't noticed the idle go up when turning the wheel though but I did find an easy-ish way to swap the hoses to the air control valve. The only thing that I'm worried about is the pulley. I got the woodruff key in and put the pulley on then bolted it up using the vicegrip method. It's on there as tight as I can get it but it kinda wobbles when the engine is running. Not a lot but it's noticeable. Any ideas on that.

I'd seriously like to thank everyone who helped me with this. You guys rock and you helped me save some $$ by doing the job myself. Doing this myself also gave my mechanical confidence a big boost. I got everything back on and was jumping around showing my fiancee. She just rolled her eyes and said "see I knew you could do it, don't you feel better now?" Yeah I do thanks again YotaTech
Old 11-17-2007, 08:51 PM

I went back and got the ATF. The job is all done now and I'm back on the road. The steering is so nice and smooth now. I haven't noticed the idle go up when turning the wheel though but I did find an easy-ish way to swap the hoses to the air control valve. The only thing that I'm worried about is the pulley. I got the woodruff key in and put the pulley on then bolted it up using the vicegrip method. It's on there as tight as I can get it but it kinda wobbles when the engine is running. Not a lot but it's noticeable. Any ideas on that.

I'd seriously like to thank everyone who helped me with this. You guys rock and you helped me save some $$ by doing the job myself. Doing this myself also gave my mechanical confidence a big boost. I got everything back on and was jumping around showing my fiancee. She just rolled her eyes and said "see I knew you could do it, don't you feel better now?" Yeah I do thanks again YotaTech
Glad that we could help!

The only thing that I could think of about the pulley is to make sure that the nut is on there tight, or that the nut isn't running out of threads before the pulley is tight, if that makes sense?

If you take the belt off, can you make the pulley wobble like it is when it's turning, if you can't seem to make it move at all, there is a very small chance that the pulley got "pringled" when you pulled it off, but like i said that is small chance, usually that only happens when someone tries to use a puller from the parts store or something like that trying to get off a pulley that is stuck,

A new pulley is less than $30 if that is the case, and there is always the chance that it was wobbling before and you didn't notice it because you weren't looking for it before

I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as the movement is very minimal
Old 11-18-2007, 06:35 AM

The pulley came off pretty easy when I took everything apart. I have the nut on there as tight as I can get it using the vicegrips on the back of the pulley method, it's on there pretty darn good. For now I'm just going to keep an eye on it while I'm checking for leaks around the union bolt.
I gotta try reversing the hoses that go to the air control valve too. I found where they go to from the pump. From the PS pump they go up to the left side of the intake plenum. There's no mention of those lines on the sticker under the hood Great, mystery hoses.....
Old 11-18-2007, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by b.miller123
You are right, there is a raised dot on one side of the valve,

this was bugging the crap out of me so I went out an looked at my truck,

the side with the raised dot has the vacuum hose going to the lower attachment on the back of the intake

slowheelin: I hope this helps, and again take this with a grain of salt, because I know that I put the hoses back where they were, and I haven't had any problems, but who knows if the previous owner or anyone else ever switched them by mistake
I posted this earlier on, it's on the first page, this should help you figure out which one is which, as long as you know where the go one the intake,

If you can't figure it out, I'd be happy to go take some pics of mine for reference
Old 11-18-2007, 09:42 PM

The pulley came off pretty easy when I took everything apart. I have the nut on there as tight as I can get it using the vicegrips on the back of the pulley method, it's on there pretty darn good. For now I'm just going to keep an eye on it while I'm checking for leaks around the union bolt.
I gotta try reversing the hoses that go to the air control valve too. I found where they go to from the pump. From the PS pump they go up to the left side of the intake plenum. There's no mention of those lines on the sticker under the hood Great, mystery hoses.....
Yeah, don't you just love things that are never shown or mentioned in a manual anywhere???

If you think a truck is bad, try working on a 56ft jet aircraft that was originally designed in the 50's, the manuals are horrible
Old 11-19-2007, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by b.miller123
I posted this earlier on, it's on the first page, this should help you figure out which one is which, as long as you know where the go one the intake,

If you can't figure it out, I'd be happy to go take some pics of mine for reference
oops missed that. I think I can figure it out with that info there.

I wouldn't know where to begin working on a 56ft jet. I've seen the inside of an engine for a Cessna Citation X before and DAMN! There's a lot goin' on there.

Quick Reply: Replacing power steering pump