Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Part identification, and other questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Part identification, and other questions

I have a handful of random newbie questions that I figured may as well get lumped into one topic. Just want to preface my potentially stupid questions by reiterating that I am a total novice and this truck and you guys are my only teachers! The truck is an 81 2wd 22R, and has plenty of minor problems for me to wonder about.

-So first, I'm trying to figure out what this part is? It seems like it maybe has something to do with emissions. The previous owner has it wired to the blinker fuse, so it comes on when the key is half-turned, and it has a loud, servo-sounding hum. Here's another image to give you an idea of its placement. I've been driving around with it humming in the last few months I've had the truck, but I disconnected it today, to try to determine what it was, except nothing about the performance seemed to change at all (maybe starting took more pumps, but could be my imagination.)

-Should I be concerned about this hole beneath my air filter hose? It looks like something was just cut right off there, maybe again emissions related?

-When I replaced the alternator belt, I was unable to fully tighten the lower adjusting bolt seen here. Is that supposed to be the case, or has something been stripped?

-Is this coolant hose supposed to connect to anything? Because it just just drips down to the ground.

-The other day as I was driving, this piece, (what I believe is called the return spring bracket) on the clutch pedal snapped in two places. I think this was a result of over-tightening of the return spring. The clutch still works (as well as it did before, anyway) and I was wondering if this would cause any long-term damage to the clutch, as perhaps it may not be fully disengaging.

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-02-2016, 11:23 AM
osv

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
"this hole" is the metal hose that puts warm air into the carb, i think?? not a deal killer, unless you live in cold country.

the lower adjusting bolt tighten downs on most trucks, it gives the alternator stability... can you see the alt vibrating at all anywhere in the rpm range?

the coolant hose is overflow, there has to be a path for excess water to leave the system.

the bracket that holds the pin going thru the clutch pedal? does the pic show what's broken?
Old 09-03-2016, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks!

Originally Posted by osv
"this hole" is the metal hose that puts warm air into the carb, i think?? not a deal killer, unless you live in cold country.
I think I may have found this: "Hot Air Intake?" So winter mornings in NC will be okay?

Originally Posted by osv
the bracket that holds the pin going thru the clutch pedal? does the pic show what's broken?
Sorry, that picture is one I pulled from google that's still intact. I did't get a picture of mine, but it's that |_| shaped piece, and it's broken right where each arrow points. It's what attached the pedal to the push rod, so that now when I let of the clutch, the return spring brings back the pedal, but the rod returns on its own power, independent from the pedal. (I plan to replace it, I'm really just wondering how urgent it is and if it's okay that I've been driving it this way).
Old 09-03-2016, 04:01 PM
osv

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
it'll just take longer to warm up without the tube, and probably increase engine wear a bit when the engine is running cold.

i would get that u-shaped thing replaced asap, the dealer might have one... get the plastic pieces that go inside the hole in the pedal as well.