Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

new to site - (un)related problems/squeal

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new to site - (un)related problems/squeal

Hey everyone, I'm in college in northern Colorado and new to the site, or at least new to posting on it. I've been enjoying reading it for quite some time and finally got something I could use advice on. Sorry for the long post.
I am driving a

1992 4runner 3.0 3vze with 175,000m, R150F 5 speed manual, upsized to 31x10.5 tires. I have Trailmaster shocks, Moog pitman and idler arms, and the rest is stock.

My car is having a few problems lately that I think might be related, maybe you guys could tell me what you think.

1. Had a noise in the dash since I got the car in 2000 that I am 95% sure is related to the speedometer. I have searched around and found many reports of a similar noise (more of a buzzing than a squeel) that was indeed the speedo or the cable itself. But what I have not found in my searching is a definitive answer as to whether the 92' MT's have a cable or sensor driven speedo. I would like to just lube the cable if possible rather than buy a new sensor.

But anyway a few weeks ago the speedometer started acting up. When starting from a stop the needle jumps instantly to 45mph and stays there until I stop, when it drops back down to zero. The problem comes and goes, even within a single drive down to school. I have seen similar problems addressed on this site and how to fix them (lube,new cable/speedo), but am wondering for sure what system I am dealing with.

2. The other problem is a high pitched squeal coming from the front left wheel. In searching for "speedo" I came across people whose speedometer cables made horrible noises, and this is why I think the two problems are related. HOWEVER: a) the squeal started a few weeks before my speedometer started flipping out b)the original speedo noise described above has been constant, and I am hesitant to say it has devolved into squeeling. c)the squealing noise was originally present only when making left turns, and has since grown to be a semi-constant noise (certain bumps in the road, braking, etc. stop it momentarily)

There is the chance that the squealing is simply my brakes, they are definatly due, but I have replaced many pads and never had a squeal this bad. I also considered that my ujoints where dry but I lubed them up and the noise stayed. I have done all work on my truck myself (clutch, power steering gaskets, belts, fluid and general maintenance, etc.) and can easily handle the brakes if thats all it is. But what concerns me is that a few months ago I replaced the bearing seals in the two front tires, and there might be a chance this is related to the squeel(?).

What do you guys think? One problem or two, any ideas?
Old 04-13-2006, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"They're electronic only if it's a auto tranny and I think the year was '92. Manual trannies still had a regular cable."

So I found this post related to 92' speed sensor vs. cable, and apparently I have the cable. Good news, I'll buy some lube and check it out, time permitting. But I haven't found a post about a speedo that just jumps to 45 and stays there, mostly the problem is fluctuation. I have an 87' Vdub Fox that does this, and the 4runner problem is definatly different. Any ideas?

Also, I found a few posts about squealing input and main shafts, but my squeal is in all gears/speeds, 4th included, regardless of cluth position.
Ideas?