Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Motor swap or regearing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2DoorRunner
I cant wait till tried4x2sign gets his ass gets banned, i have seen nothing but negative comments from him everywhere.

Its a disscusion, not an argument man. Stop making everything such a big deal.
one of the main parts of a discussion is an argument. other wise it would be called an agreement.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:23 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yotaman-Taken right from the interweb

•S: (n) discussion, treatment, discourse (an extended communication (often interactive) dealing with some particular topic) "the book contains an excellent discussion of modal logic"; "his treatment of the race question is badly biased"
•S: (n) discussion, give-and-take, word (an exchange of views on some topic) "we had a good discussion"; "we had a word or two about it"

Says nothing about arguing and harsh comments towards the opposing side.
But i do get what you are saying about it being an argument.
He just takes everything to the extreame.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:28 PM

yotaman-Taken right from the interweb

•S: (n) discussion, treatment, discourse (an extended communication (often interactive) dealing with some particular topic) "the book contains an excellent discussion of modal logic"; "his treatment of the race question is badly biased"
•S: (n) discussion, give-and-take, word (an exchange of views on some topic) "we had a good discussion"; "we had a word or two about it"

Says nothing about arguing and harsh comments towards the opposing side.
But i do get what you are saying about it being an argument.
He just takes everything to the extreame.
sure it does. give AND TAKE.

but maybe he is a bit biased, or maybe he is educated on diesels (obvious to me) and he wants to make sure he gets correct info across.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:29 PM

Well said yotaman85. Not only is that a good explanation but it was a respectful response.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by H03Runner
Well said yotaman85. Not only is that a good explanation but it was a respectful response.
I try, just don't make me mad. me inner psychiatrist comes out and I sound like Dr. Phil on steroids. especially when I'm drunk... 4 years of psych will do that to anybody....
Old 04-27-2010, 08:37 PM
Banned

Exactly. I know he has some great information, and he knows his stuff. But its just the way he gets it across, most posts from him DO contain good information, but its the fact that everything he says makes him sound like a complete dick.

After reading your (respectful) response (post #40), and rereading the OPs first post i know understand that he is having issues with speed. So that makes more sense now.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:45 PM

Exactly. I know he has some great information, and he knows his stuff. But its just the way he gets it across, most posts from him DO contain good information, but its the fact that everything he says makes him sound like a complete dick.

After reading your (respectful) response (post #40), and rereading the OPs first post i know understand that he is having issues with speed. So that makes more sense now.

cool,im done for the night.. lets get faded!!!

Last edited by yotaman85; 04-27-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:52 PM
Banned

So you are going to take 5 shots, smoke, throw up twice, then...turn pink???
Old 04-27-2010, 08:57 PM

So you are going to take 5 shots, smoke, throw up twice, then...turn pink???
nope, the big cups are filled with Evan Williams. so I will drink big cups of whiskey, smoke, most likely throw up twice and then turn pink...
Old 04-27-2010, 09:04 PM

I cant wait till tried4x2sign gets his ass gets banned, i have seen nothing but negative comments from him everywhere.

Its a disscusion, not an argument man. Stop making everything such a big deal.
After reading this whole post, i think everyone needs to kiss and make up and look at the facts.

I do not know a whole lot about engines or diesels, but i do know numbers and what we need from a gas engine and that diesels are the opposite of that. And from what both tried4x2signN and yotaman85 are both true and correct.

From what i have read (and i have read this thing over quite a few times) here is what i have taken in to an understanding and compiled it into one spot for all to see with some explanation in areas where the group tends to fight.

Re-gearing will make you reach red line faster and you dont want that. You can already turn your wheels better than what us GAS engine drivers can do. Thats why we regear. Regearing for a 22re (or 22r) allows the tires to spin with greater power at the loss of top speed. SO if we have 5.29's and 35's were going to be going a hell of a lot slower than a guy with stock tires and 4.10s because of that sacrifice for wheel power(i.e torque) and not top speed.

The issue i see that Thrasher is dealing with is his small rev limit that we all need to note and take that into consideration with what i just said. If you add gears you going to add more wheel torque to a diesel that already has a crap ton of that. What he is noticing his his lack of HP that we have a lot more of, plus he is just going to make it race to the red line even more quickly.

So in relation to what a diesel produces and gas engine produces i would assume that he could gear down and produce more wheel speed thus a higher top speed but at the loss of torque at the rear wheels.

So Thrasher IMHO i believe that you can do just fine with the gears you have, do a leak down test and compression test, and see if the motor is fit for a turbo and slap on in! As for your Transmission should be able to hold up to the horsepower, but that is something i have no clue and that's an honest shot in the dark.

The other thing you can do is intake and exhaust which will benefit you since a diesel is still an engine and a glorified vacuum cleaner that needs more air in and air out. Other upgrades just as injectors will work the same because the more fuel to the increased amount of air you would push with a turbo. Whether you need to upgrade i honestly dont know.

As added info, i agree the way tried4x2signN was posting he was VERY aggressive, but never the less, we should discuss because we all need to learn something and grow and find the right answers, whether im wrong, your wrong or were all wrong.

Thoughts?
Old 04-27-2010, 09:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by yotaman85
OK, after sounding like a dick in my first post. tried4x2sign is correct.. period. I was just saying im not ignorant about diesels. if you rev any motor outside of its powerband you will be slower. your 2L makes all of its power at about 2500rpm if its running tits at sea level. if you regear, you will go threw this powerband in way too little time and wast most of your power on sinning tires. put bigger tires on it and leave it alone.
*sigh* You're not understanding it though.
The engine will have the same powerband whether you regear or not.
it'll have it at 2500RPM.
the difference is the rate at which your tires spin. If he regears it, he'll actually have more torque. A slower tire speed but the same powerband WITH the same size tires.

However, if he bumps tire circumference up like he says he will, then the distance he'll have travelled relative to his RPM's will have moved back to normal or similar. This is due to the fact that the larger circumference tires will move the vehicle forward faster, with the same number RPMs. And the 4.88:1 gear ratio of the axles, will bring that RPM:Tire spin ratio back down to a stock level.

Think about it guys. It doesn't matter what gears he puts in, the powerband is going to stay the same. If he gears lower, with 4.10's, the truck will be faster on the highway.
If he gears higher with 4.88s the truck will be slower on the freeway.
The torque will be the same regardless the gear ratio.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:09 PM

OK ALL THIS BANTERING NEEDS TO STOP!!!!!!

Reality is yes the engineers designed this truck to run at optimal RPM for torque and fuel efficiency!!!!!

This Design Was With A Specific Size Wheel !!!

Reality is for optimal use if you change one part you must change the other to match IF you start with a 28" wheel and 4.29 then go to a 33" wheel suddenly you have an issue with power!!!

To fix this Issue and correct the issue you must REGEAR!!!!

http://www.4lo.com/calc/geartire.htm

Use this calculator and try a few computations to see!!!

The Regear Must Be in Equal PROPORTION To THE Change In WHEEL so That at "65 MPH or 100 KPH" THE RPM'S ARE THE SAME as before!!!!

A bigger tire will give you lower RPM to Speed Where A smaller Tire Will Give you a Higher RPM to Speed

Hence a larger wheel at 65mph on the speedo you are actually going faster!!
And smaller Slower

Seriously try out the gear calculator!!!!!

Last edited by eddieleephd; 04-27-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:13 PM
Banned

csbauer-Exactly, good conclusion of the thread. Already admitted i was wrong because i misunderstood what we were talking about (makes me feel like a newb haha).

I think he got in trouble. The post where he called me a bit&% was edited.

Last edited by 2DoorRunner; 04-27-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:14 PM

BRACE YOURSELF FOR EPIC.
According to the awesome gear calculator:
....THIS TRUCKS NEW GEARS SHOULD BE 4.85:1
is that good?
was i right?
did i win?

Last edited by peow130; 04-27-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:17 PM
Banned

Yeah that^ i agree with. But i agree with yotaman and tried4x2 that if he wants to fix his speed issues to put on 33s, and that the diesel will have the torque to make up for the gearing.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:18 PM

Yeah that^ i agree with. But i agree with yotaman and tried4x2 that if he wants to fix his speed issues to put on 33s, and that the diesel will have the torque to make up for the gearing.
The diesel has plenty of torque.
Granted a few pump mods and a freeflowing exhaust and a turbo would probably boost the power by two...
Read my post above yours..
Old 04-27-2010, 09:20 PM

csbauer-Exactly, good conclusion of the thread. Already admitted i was wrong because i misunderstood what we were talking about (makes me feel like a newb haha).

I think he got in trouble. The post where he called me a bit&% was edited.
It happens, but i agree, the bickering and apparent name calling isnt what YOTATECH is about. I hope it was edited because i can think of at least one member who is younger than 16, and who knows how much younger or looking of a father or mothers shoulders.

eddieleephd, Bantering is alright but if its disagreement with vulgar and attack, i agree it should stop, but we can talk about it, and i agree with your post.

And i think we all agree then, that if he goes with a larger tire IDEALLY a lower gear ration would be needed if he did not do upgrades such as a turbo, intake and exhaust.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:21 PM
Banned

yeah i just saw that. And yeah a few mods would do that motor some good.
So in a way, everybody is right Just about different things.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by peow130
BRACE YOURSELF FOR EPIC.
According to the awesome gear calculator:
....THIS TRUCKS NEW GEARS SHOULD BE 4.85:1
is that good?
was i right?
did i win?
I believe that it is really about the understanding of the thought!!

smaller in gears is bigger!! and vise versa!!!

and above all use the calculators not your thoughts of what should be it is how the engineers did it in the first place!!

IT REALLY IS NOT ABOUT YOU BEING RIGHT !!!!!
IT IS ABOUT THE GUY WHO ASKED GETTING THE RIGHT INFORMATION!!!
Old 04-27-2010, 09:24 PM

Even with a turbo that big a wheel will need regearing

or the whole thing is gonna be out of whack

And EVERYBODY is right here to learn one way or another!!!

Quick Reply: Motor swap or regearing?