Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Missing

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Missing

Ok I have a 94 Toyota pickup 3.0 and I have a couple things I can't figure out. First is my egr system, I change egr valve the electronic valve for egr and the vacuum mod and I check all vac lines and everything is still cherry but still gives me the code. With the egr hooked up I feel the hesitation when taking of slowly, and when I come to a stop I feel that the trucks idle drops like the truck is gonna die. When I plug the vacuum I don't feel the hesitation or the idle drop. I've tested everything I could think of on the egr system and everything checks out good. Am I missing something else on the Egr?

Ok now my other problem is on a cold start if feels like it's missing and runs a little rough but after a min or 2 driving the idle is smooth and no missing feeling. I've did a full tune up and I also have a spare distributor I've swapped out just to see and still no changes. I've tried unpluging the TPS on a cold start and it starts and runs cherry but when I plug it back in same thing runs a little rough like it's missing. I've checked the tps and it is still good, I even changed it out cause I have a spare and still the same on cold start. I'm wondering if it could be the ECT, I have a spare that's still good also but haven't swapped it out to see. I've tried using another computer box from another truck exactly like mine and still no changes. Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you say ECT are you talking about the coolant temp sensor? When you unplugged the tps, the truck ran in it's open loop mode. That is a good sign. You probably do have some sensor sending info to your computer that is incorrect. It should run just like open loop on startup so something is telling the computer that the engine isn't cold. I'm leaning toward the coolant temp sensor at this point but others may have other opinions. That's not an expensive part so it may not hurt to change it out. I think you can test them but it'll be hard to get connected to the pins on it without having a spare connector that you can use to make leads.