Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Low Idle / Pulsing Idle 95 4runner 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low Idle / Pulsing Idle 95 4runner 3.0

Hey,

I recently purchased a 95 4runner 3.0 V6 with 147k miles. I noticed that it idles extremely low when the engine is both warm and cold. If I start the vehicle, the engine will begin to idle at around 500 RPM, it will drop to 250 RPM where I believe it begins to misfire, and will ramp back up to 500-600 RPM and cycles back and forth. The car never stalls or dies, and drives just fine both on the street and the highway. This will only happen at street lights, stop signs, or when the vehicle is parked. I recently serviced the engine including, fuel filter, oil filter, oil change, coolant flush, air filter, ensure all vacuum lines were connected / not cracked, ATF flush, plugs, wires, BG intake/ fuel injection service, cleaned the manifold, and replaced the cracked intake boot, as well as a few other things like diff service etc. There is also a small exhaust leak where I have yet to replace the gasket and missing flange bolt that's behind the cat.

Any ideas on where to start? Is this something as simple as adjusting the idle screw on the throttle body? TPS sensor? I checked the codes and there were none except an old solenoid code, cleared them and drove a few days and checked again and had no new codes.

Thanks

Last edited by Tbarba; 09-01-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:23 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
A few things you want to check.
There is a o-ring that is on the idle pill (screw) it gets hard and will let in.
Possible your TPS is out of adjustment while doing "miscellaneous maintenance".
And there is a possible vacuum leak.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:30 PM

Thanks for the starting points! I had never heard about the o-ring on the idle pill. I will try and chase down the problem tomorrow and post an update.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:37 PM

Hey, so I went ahead and checked around the engine bay and noticed a sucking noise like a vacuum hose was off, I found these two vacuum hoses that aren't connected together http://imgur.com/a/pf78I and http://imgur.com/a/5ELXq. One of them has constant vacuum, the one closes to the motor. I found this vacuum diagram http://imgur.com/a/3IrY8 but quickly found out I don't really know how to read it. I don't think they go together because there is a T off the one hose.

Any help? I'll keep poking around.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Rather then trying to post back and forth on vac line order, watch this.
Keep it for further needs.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:12 PM

Thanks! Great help!