Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

lift setup for now and for later......advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.5" or 3" lift with 31s.....

so just put new 31x10.5 15s on my truck and now looking for a lift. 2wd 97 runner. looking at 2.5" all around lift. do you think the toytec 3" lift would be too much since im not running bigger tires than that. what would be better, 2.5" or 3" with my size wheels and tires? don't want to make my tires look too small. strictly onroad no dirt for my 4runner. thanks
Old 11-19-2009, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by hdoggie24
so just put new 31x10.5 15s on my truck and now looking for a lift. 2wd 97 runner. looking at 2.5" all around lift. do you think the toytec 3" lift would be too much since im not running bigger tires than that. what would be better, 2.5" or 3" with my size wheels and tires? don't want to make my tires look too small. strictly onroad no dirt for my 4runner. thanks

Old 11-19-2009, 12:11 PM

kind of new to lifted vehicles and this is my first. not many people head over to the newbie forum so thats why I asked here. been looking at the daystar and toytec kits. do any of these spacers preload the coils. i heard that should be avoided.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:14 PM
Contributing Member

they preload.

lift is gonna look small. do a small body lift. SEARCH
Old 11-19-2009, 02:09 PM

If you're not looking for much trail performance, why not consider something simple like just a revtek spacer lift? They're nice n' cheap. That way you can avoid the wheel well gaps of a body lift as well
Old 11-19-2009, 02:39 PM

ya dude definitely go with a coil spacer that is around a 2 or 2.5" lift. The spacers will give much more of a stock ride.. some ppl say it is a bit stiffer but my cousin had some on his grand cherokee and i couldnt really notice a difference. If u go with the toytec ur tires are gonna look really small for one thing and its gonna ride alot harsher with the new coils and shocks. I am running the toytec coils and shocks and they are definitely much stiffer than the stock... my gf doesnt enjoy the ride too much but it all depends on wat u want.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First off: WHY do you want a lift? The 31's should fit just fine no rubbing flex or turns. I can see if you want to lift it for the future if you want to go with better tires (usually you will eventually want to). If you are planning on going with bigger/taller tires, then I'd highly recommend you wait on installing the lift then saving up the money for new gears. Now if you just want to give it a "higher stance" look then realize you may not be happy with it if it looks like roller skates with the 31" tires. Yes it's not that much of a lift but enough for you and others to notice more space than tires.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:17 PM

Old 11-19-2009, 07:52 PM

hahah love that post wolf pack
Old 11-20-2009, 02:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by wolfpack10
In his defense... he's not asking "whats the biggest tire size I can fit with X amount of lift." Just wants to know if it will be too much for the tire size he's running.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Its much much much much more more annoying (TO ME) when people spend the time to reply and say "search" and "noob" and "OMFG you so DUMB". Just freaking reply and help the guy out its a MESSAGE BOARD ... thats the POINT of it!!! The search feature should be used don't get me wrong but when I use the search button, I'll get like 10 threads with a bunch of crap saying "Search"... haha its ridiculous.

Anyways back on topic:

The difference between 2.5" and 3" lift is pretty minimal. 31" tires should be perfect with about 2" of lift. You can do the cheap daystar spacer method if you don't care, but, if you're going through all that work you can get a lift from Toytec or sonoransteel.com and run a 32 or something

Last edited by BajaRunner; 11-20-2009 at 06:24 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:03 AM

sure i have searched through lots of threads and don't get me wrong i do find lots of good info but sometimes i still don't find exactly what i am looking for. so damn, " I thought this was a forum!" wait maybe all the people in the forum should just think of a question about their ride and just think of an answer for themselves. reading through tons of posts can be very time consuming if your looking for something quick and maybe some don't want to get info from like 6 years ago. in my opinion things do change with time. i've always been into lowered trucks and this is my first time dealing with more of the offroad/lifted scene.
Also why do people keep saying stuff like " Why do you want a lift?" Are you serious! I have a Nissan truck bagged to the ground on 20's and if I heard " Why do you want to lower your truck?" Seriously WTF! Later
Old 11-20-2009, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by hdoggie24
sure i have searched through lots of threads and don't get me wrong i do find lots of good info but sometimes i still don't find exactly what i am looking for. so damn, " I thought this was a forum!" wait maybe all the people in the forum should just think of a question about their ride and just think of an answer for themselves. reading through tons of posts can be very time consuming if your looking for something quick and maybe some don't want to get info from like 6 years ago. in my opinion things do change with time. i've always been into lowered trucks and this is my first time dealing with more of the offroad/lifted scene.
Also why do people keep saying stuff like " Why do you want a lift?" Are you serious! I have a Nissan truck bagged to the ground on 20's and if I heard " Why do you want to lower your truck?" Seriously WTF! Later
its common for people to ask why you want to lift it, cause depending on if you will be wheeling in the future, they could reccomen a better lift for off roading, but if your just going to drive it on pavement, they could reccomend a better pavement lift, one with a softer ride perhaps,

show the pics of the nissan! assuming its a hardbody.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:29 AM

yea looking for nice ride for the pavement. wife and kids mostly will be in it. still kind of on a budget tho with not too much to spend. heres pics of the 4runner and my nissan hardbody(just sold the rims off the nissan cause they wouldn't fit with bodydrop i will do soon)

Old 11-20-2009, 08:55 AM

IMO the 4Runner looks good as is, but to each his own. If you want to lift it don't go more than 2.5" probably, it will look funny. Just my thoughts.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:26 AM
Contributing Member

dump the running boards and it will look taller
Old 11-20-2009, 09:36 AM

the running boards actually are needed. have a 4 year old and 2 yr old that use them all the time along with my wife liking them
Old 11-20-2009, 11:46 AM

nice hardbody,

i'd personally go with a 2 inch for it, 2.5 or 3 would be too much in my eyes.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:52 AM

if i went the 2.5" spacer lift like Daystar sells, you think it would settle like people say to make it closer to 2 inches. I would be ok with the settling. i think if i went with 1.5" and it settled then i would not be happy with that.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:59 AM

very true, im not coilover, so im not sure about that, acually i really only know about 1st gen pickemup and runners. some knowledge in others but not as much.

Quick Reply: lift setup for now and for later......advice