Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Just need some insight

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just need some insight

I have a 89 3vz 4x4 pickup. It had been sitting for about 4 years in the desert before i acquired it. Ive changed the plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, oil and filter. Now b4 i changed the wires i noticed the clips that hold them in place had all either been broken or just replaced with a ziptie holding them all together and touching hot parts of the motor. So after i did the tune up i figured it would have helped the sound of it missing but it seems to have gotten worse. In fact theres even a clicking noise now. Which almost sounds like exhaust??? And i notice the motor vibrates quite a bit when the hoods up is that a motor mount???Any suggestions. I have done some basic work on my 22 re but diagnosing engine stuff not so much especially on a diffrent vehicle that i dont know the history on.
oh and if anyone can tell me what i need to purchase to do the seals on the crankcase and trans as they are leaking alot of gear oil everywhere. im guessing from sitting so long.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:20 PM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
before diving into resealing the engine get it running correctly. then hit it with some engine degreaser and hose it off (the reason for getting it running smoothly, so you can tell if you got water somewhere important) then run it long enough to see where the oil is coming from.
The vibration you are describing sounds like the engine is missing badly and if it is running worse after a tune up you should check your firing order, you may have mixed up two of the wires. Also check the cap/rotor/plug wires for good connections. If one of the plug wires is shorting to ground it will be easy to see in the dark and this could be the clicking noise you hear.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used degreaser on it just yesterday and hosed it off havent started it up yet tho. Ill check all u suggested and see what happens. Thank u😊