Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

interior/ sound system

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
interior/ sound system

i have a 95 2wd single cab pickup and am in need of an interior upgrade.
i was thinking about taking out the bench seat (its pretty torn up anyways) and putting in to separate seats
maybe even do the led interior lights and a lockable center console

as for the audio i am very limited to to the fact its a SINGLE cab

any suggestions/pictures would be greatly appreciated
(or other ideas)
Old 11-28-2009, 08:57 AM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
i have a 91 2wd..my truck came with factory buckets..i just had the headrest cut off and re upholstered..as far as stereo im using the stock location as well as the doors..i had those door boxes custom made and i had 2 10's behind the seat with one amp mounted under each seat..these are the only pics i have right now

Old 11-28-2009, 05:48 PM
Contributing Member

Sweet interior Joey...
there are plenty of options schmitty... factory buckets are the best option for direct fit but almost any buckets will fit (the power seats out of a supra are a sweet choice if you can find them) you will have to get seatbelts from a truck/runner with buckets someplace since you will need ones with the plastic sleeves to hold the buckles up.
for subs there are several choices available if you think you need them but with that small space if you were to simply put some 6.5 components in the doors like Joey you'd probably have more then enough bass for most uses.
don't forget to apply some sound proofing while you have the carpet out and don't forget rust repair if you have any... POR15 will handle most surface rust problems and simple rubberized asphalt undercoating will deal with most of the sound issues cheaply.

Last edited by aviator; 11-28-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:00 PM

Do you guys think that the bench seat from a Ford Ranger extra cab would fit because that way i would have some sort of center console but i would still have the bench seat.

And as for speakers, should i put tweaters in the dash or some small mids?
i listen to mostly rock if that means anything?
Old 12-03-2009, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by joeynational
i have a 91 2wd..my truck came with factory buckets..i just had the headrest cut off and re upholstered..as far as stereo im using the stock location as well as the doors..i had those door boxes custom made and i had 2 10's behind the seat with one amp mounted under each seat..these are the only pics i have right now

Where did you get your white gauge face (don't know what its called) it looks super clean!
Old 12-03-2009, 01:12 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
ebay... they have them for the sr5 gauges too.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:41 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by theschmitty13
Do you guys think that the bench seat from a Ford Ranger extra cab would fit because that way i would have some sort of center console but i would still have the bench seat.

And as for speakers, should i put tweaters in the dash or some small mids?
i listen to mostly rock if that means anything?
The bench would probably fit ok... you need to measure the seat track mounting brackets on the new bench and compare them to the old ones... you'll probably have to do a little customization... if you need to drill new holes in the floorpan don't forget to put a bead of urethane around the holes on the outside and use a big fender washer to seal and reinforce the spot... afterward spray the whole area over with a rubberized asphalt undercoat to stop rust.

on the speakers in my single cab 87 I ran some cerwin vega micro tweets in pods on the dash next to the a pillars w/mtx 4" in the stock location.
for your truck I'd go with micro tweets of your choice mounted in angled pods on the A pillar covers near the base (maybe .5"-1" above the dash) of the A-pillars The driver's side dash is slightly higher than the pax side so you need to measure down from the top on the drivers side and mount the pax side the same dist. down from the top. This will ensure both sides are equal and improve sound imaging.
For the 4" I'd troll a scrap yard or check around on here for the speaker boxes that came with the deluxe sound pkg. You may have to trim the driver's side one to fit the larger magnet on some aftermarket speakers but they make a huge difference in sound quality.
If you can't find any of them try those rubber "tubs" they sell at best buy or something like that even a little backside sealing will improve the sound.

brand wise you are only limited by your budget...
Boston Accoustics or JL Audio are about as good as you can get but you pay for it.
JBL are good but they tend to sound a little "bright".
everyone has their favs... the thing to do is shop around a few stores (preferably car audio specialty shops since they are quieter and you will be able to hear just the speakers you want to hear not the crowd and store muzak) and audition a few different brands at your price pt. Bring your own CD(s) of music you know so you will be able to get a good feel for them.
Hope this helped