Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

IFS capable???

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 05:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thats where your wrong a stock for stock locked on boths ends ifs will be better!!!

but def just keep reading and reseaching so you end up with what you want.. would hate to see you waste cash ...
Old 03-02-2009, 05:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chriso
I have a someone who offered me to trade for a 74 fj40 350 MR GOODWRENCH 4 SPEED TOYOTA DRIVE TRAIN. But I think this is to old as it needs to be a DD as well or else id love to have a old FJ... yeah a locked IFS would be fun but it doesn't seem like it can compare to a locked SA...
Well, if you want a solid axle, then thats fine. Nothing wrong with that.

You started this thread to ask if IFS is capable. It is very capable. If its not what you are looking for in the looks department, then that is fine.

If you are hunting in Johnson Valley on the Hammers, or on the Rubicon, or up Fordyce, then I agree with you, you need to get a solid axle.

However, much less than that, dropping 5-10 grand on a solid axle swap to go HUNTING is absurd.

If you want a solid axle, cool. I like the way they look too. But its not inherently better than an IFS set up.

Good luck on your build.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its not really for looks I like the IFS look more the property I hunt on has alot of washed out roads that my dads SA sometimes has trouble with I just want more flex its also not just for hunting I go wheeling fairly often since I spend more than half of my time out on the property... I would love to just get ome 892's up front and 891's out back and lift it get some armor and lockers and be done but I dont think I will have enough flex are the LT kits as expensive as SA???
Old 03-02-2009, 06:50 PM

ifs capable

are you incable or somthing?
Attached Thumbnails IFS capable???-pictures-truck-010.jpg  
Old 03-02-2009, 07:10 PM

what kind of set up is that??? incable? you mean incapable???
Old 03-02-2009, 07:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
get a solid axle offroad hutning rig... weld the diffs and go...

but a double locked 3rd gen will go anywhere your fathers does and will be limited by the amount of body damage you want to endure not by its suspension..flex is nice but its overrated. if all 4 tires are turning regaurdless of lift or front axle your moving...

its all a time and money resource thing.. and what you want/need you rig to be and do..
if you want to learn,build and do all that i would get a second truck as getting to work is important..

we arnt trying to be mean or act like pricks...
i think you should get a suzuki samurai

happy research!

Last edited by bigt; 03-02-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:37 PM

set up

its my set up you got a better one lets see it! dont dis the ifs buddy.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:59 PM
Contributing Member

Its not really for looks I like the IFS look more the property I hunt on has alot of washed out roads that my dads SA sometimes has trouble with I just want more flex its also not just for hunting I go wheeling fairly often since I spend more than half of my time out on the property... I would love to just get ome 892's up front and 891's out back and lift it get some armor and lockers and be done but I dont think I will have enough flex are the LT kits as expensive as SA???
Thats the point.

You are describing regular wheeling (Ie, NOT Rockcrawling) in your description of the terrain you drive on.

For regular wheeling, flex is irrelevant. I have almost no flex in the front. Yet, I can get up anything out here in CO that would be described as regular wheeling, and can do so with relative ease. Hence the pics and vids at the beginning.

In rock crawling, a SA is a better set up, and far more capable. For wheeling, it makes zero difference. And, considering you already have a nice truck, that is reliable, it makes very little sense to do an extremely expensive solid axle swap, or buy a solid axle truck which requires as much, or more work, to make reliable on the trail.

Tell you what. If you are truly interested in performance, humor us with a little experiment. Hunt around for an elocker. Or an autolocker of some sort. Put it in the back of your truck.

This is something you'd do with the SA anyway, so you are out ZERO money.

Go out and wheel it a bit. See if you notice the difference. Still not satisfied? Not an issue, and you can go out and do the SAS.

Last edited by AxleIke; 03-02-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:16 PM

ifs capable

you are asking if ifs is capable id say it depends on what you want to do, if i find somthing i cant climb up i will let you know, i ve conquered a few things in my pick up i never thought id attempt but low and behold she gets me there, some of the sas setups are pretty impressive though, id like to build one myself someday.
Attached Thumbnails IFS capable???-pictures-truck-016.jpg  
Old 03-02-2009, 09:17 PM

I wasn't dissing the set up I was really asking what kind of set up was it, it looked interesting haha... Im pretty sure no matter what unless I got a SA my rig couldn't touch my dads he likes to do some crawling... I just want my truck to be able to go over anything I need it to and to be able to have fun at the same time as it is my DD I think I will try to buy a older SA vehicle like a truck to work on and learn the ropes... susukie samurai I have seen alot of these with the East bay 4x4 club that rolls to town and hits the trails I had to pull one out last year with my dads truck haha... what year would you suggest? I was thinking maybe a yota pickup or somthing...
Old 03-02-2009, 10:59 PM

have you ever looked at the trucks running paris dakar? They are all IFS, I wheeled a cherokee for a while and I thought it was the greatest thing (theyre SFA) and then I got my Yota, now my jeep sits rusting away and never get used anymore. SFA is the most uncomfortable ride and really in most wheeling situation (deffinetly washed out roads) does not get you any further then IFS will. The clearance on the yota ifs is awesome and will get you trough muddy situations easier then an solid axle will. Youre wasting money IMO.

Last edited by xjdubber; 03-02-2009 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:56 PM

Well alright I think you guys convinced me IFS is capable enough well atleast we will see... Im thinking a 3' lift and a locker what does more justice a locker in rear or front I do see alot of snowy roads this time of year... Also is the ARB air locker the better more desirable locker? any other suggestions for lockers that dont cost 1000 bucks haha...
Old 03-03-2009, 05:34 AM
Contributing Member

Put the locker in the rear. You can see how your IFS does, and, if its still not working for you, you can do the SAS. All 4wd toyota trucks earlier than yours use an 8" diff, so the locker would transfer if you decide to sell.

ARB is the best. Also the priciest. A toyota Elocker is the next best option, really no different than the ARB, just requires welding on your housing. These can be had for around 400. After that you can look at the auto lockers. Plenty of good write ups around about those. Lots of satisfied Aussie locker guys.

Search for a bit, and you can see what others have done, and what will work for you on your budget.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:55 AM

a truck for you

id favor an older toyota solid axle over a samuri, some of those samuris are cool if you dump some money into um though.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Chriso, what exactly is the current set up on your truck and your dad's truck? What mods, what tires? Unless your dad's rig is already locked, your IFS rig with a locker will far outperform him.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:13 AM

My dads rig is a a 85 I think its the last year the 4 runner came with the straight axle Not sure what type of lift but its running 33's right now in town but when deer season comes arund he runs 35's it's been regeared not locked... Not totally sure what else he has done to it... My truck is stock are LT kits worth taking a look at??? I heard the autolockers dont like to lock when needed what exactly does the locker do if someone can please explain this thanks!!!
Old 03-03-2009, 10:42 AM

a locker put power to both your wheels instead of just one. right now 1 front tire and 1 back tire get power only. so if you lift a wheel it will spin.
if you lock front and back you could technically lift two wheels off the ground and still drive. because all 4 wheels will have power.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:44 AM

right now the tire with the least traction is the one that spins.
i think what you are thinking of with autolocker is the autolocking hubs perhaps. totally different thing.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:50 AM
Contributing Member

My dads rig is a a 85 I think its the last year the 4 runner came with the straight axle Not sure what type of lift but its running 33's right now in town but when deer season comes arund he runs 35's it's been regeared not locked... Not totally sure what else he has done to it... My truck is stock are LT kits worth taking a look at??? I heard the autolockers dont like to lock when needed what exactly does the locker do if someone can please explain this thanks!!!
No on the LT kit until you are sure what you want to do. LT kits are great for going fast offroad. Not going to give you the same flex as a SAS, and cost almost as much.

A locker gives you traction. For example, you have talked about going through ditches and whatnot on your property.

Say I approach a ditch at a diagonal. If my diffs are open, I will drop into the ditch, and as my rear tires come in, my suspension will become flexed out. I will stop moving forward, because whichever tire has the least resistance will spin: essentially the tire with no traction will ALWAYS spin, that is the way a differential works.

Now, in my truck, I push 3 buttons on the dash, and lock my front and rear differentials so they are "spooled" meaning, they do not differntiate, or, rather, they both get the same amount of power, and spin at the same speed, no matter what.

I can now drive out of the ditch, even if one of my wheels is in the air because I don't have much flex. Take a look at the picture I posted on the front page:

This illustrates what I am talking about perfectly. Without lockers, my truck would have been stuck here, because my left front wheel would have been in the air, spinning wildly, and my other front would not have gotten any power at all.

Because I have two lockers, I was able to keep driving straight on through, and my flex had nothing to do with it.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:52 AM

So what is the best type of locker air or auto? So you could turn the lockers off while in 2wd so would it really mess with driving on the street or say if im in the snow in 4wd I dont have to have the locker engaged right?

Quick Reply: IFS capable???