Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

i have a question for you yota boys...

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have a question for you yota boys...

hey I have a question... I have an oil leak on my 85 Toyota pickup (22r) from a bad gasket. it is right behind the water pump, I'm not sure what it is called that is leaking any ideas? so I can buy the parts and get it worked on. I would just take it to the guy that works on it for me (my moms bf) but he lives 2hrs from any auto stores so I need to pick up any parts before I go out there any help would be great thank you ~wendygirl~
Old 12-23-2013, 11:20 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Is it leaking from the upper part in the diagram or the lower part? The upper is the water pump and the lower, around the crankshaft pullet, is the oil pump. If it's from the lower, my money is it's the crankshaft main seal. This is a cheap and pretty easy fix.

You'll need to break the crank pulley bolt loose (19mm I think....and you'll want a breaker bar - there's a great trick using the starter to break it loose but read up on that before you try it....).

Once the bolt is loose, you can remove the belts, pull the pulley, and then pull the oil pump off the front of the motor. Good time to drain the oil before you do this...

Once off, you want to replace the following:
- Front main seal (pry the old one out using a flathead and a mallet...press new one into oil pump with mallet and square block of wood (gently, in an even pattern so it lines up flush).
- oil pump seal (comes with front main in the gasket kit usually)
- Microsleeve for the crankshaft snout (this is critical - creates a smooth surface against the front seal, and your crankshaft likely borked up your front main in the first place). This can be pressed on gently with a mallet and wood too.

- Get the sleeve on
- Get the new main seal on
- Get the new oil pump gasket in
- Replace the oil pump (rub some oil on the new sleeve/seal)
- Replace crank pulley and bolt
- Replace the belts
- Replace oil
- Pray and start