Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Going In To The Transfer Case

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going In To The Transfer Case

Land Cruiser Prado ( Aussie ) ( VZJ95R-GKPNKQ ) has developed a small drip from the rear seal of the transfer case.

I've got the seal kit in had to fix that.

Having already done the engine rear main seal. The front transmissions seal. Done the heads and a bunch of other stuff I am very comfortable doing the seal.

But I also have the suspicion that if the seal has started to go bad the bearing behind it could probably do with replacing as well?

It has started to make a bit of noise under acceleration and I am pretty sure I am hearing the bearings ( and maybe the chain ) inside the transfer case. It isn't a terrible noise yet but I can hear it which is enough for me to investigate more.

So who has gone in to the transfer case and done all the bearings?

I have a copy of the factory service manual and it doesn't look to bad to get the transfer case out. Definitely no worse than lifting the motor out.

Apart from the usual array of sockets and pliers for the circlips do I need any particular special tools once inside?

It isn't really clear to me from the FSM how the bearings get pulled. I have a press. Will I need a bearing puller also?

Any tips or pointers from someone who has already done this would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Connolly Damien; 07-01-2018 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:47 PM

Hi Connoly,
I have a 2000 Prado, Sorry I cannot offer any solutions, but looks like even my seals have started leaking. Do you have a part number for the transfer case seals.
Is the transfer case and transmission on this Prado the same as a 2000 4Runner?
Also where did you buy your seals from?

Thanks
Jay
Old 02-26-2019, 12:32 AM

Doing rear seal on transfer case

- I think they will be different. To get the right seals and other parts I used the Megazip site being careful to select correct vehicle version and version of the transfer case.

- In the end I only ended up doing the rear facing drive shaft seal and did not remove transfer case entirely but I did get the complete set anyway.

- When you remove drive shaft make sure you mark it for putting it back in same alignment.

- After drive shaft off I had a bit of a hassle trying to tap the nub on the nut out to undo the nut. Was dark even with a good light and hard to see it!

- I needed a rattle gun to undo the nut.

- After that I actually took the little front housing off entirely with the seal in it. Seemed easier than trying to bang out the seal or bang it back in while under the vehicle. This also let me look at the chain and the gear in the case.

- I then spent a good deal of time cleaning the housing seal surface and the transfer case surface till not a spec of old sealant material was left.

- Be very careful with the speedo drive sensor you need to take off when you take the housing off if you do this the way I did.

- Do not clean the lubricant out of it as it is some kind of special stuff ! Do not lose the little ball on the end of that little spindle that pulls out !

- I found I needed a speedi-sleeve for the shaft because it had a groove worn in to it I'll be paying attention to that in future for other shafts.

- I used block of wood to get the seal in nice and flat in housing.

- I made sure to use the correct specified RT to seal the case back up. I let the RT setup a bit first and did not use to much of it.

- All good so far. No more leaks. Well not from the transfer case anyway!

Last edited by Connolly Damien; 02-26-2019 at 12:35 AM. Reason: correction
Old 02-26-2019, 07:24 AM

Thanks a lot for the Megazip site info and also the Instructions.
Already ordered the oil seals, belts, LBJ's and other parts for Prado and 4Runner
"What a relief and now I can sleep well"