Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Flooding

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flooding

Hey, I have been struggling to diagnose this problem on my 92 4runner 3vze auto 4x4.

It started with a stall here and there, and code 14 for spark.
I thought I had a rattle in my distributor, so I changed it. The timing was way advanced (25 degrees) so I reset it. Also changed the plugs. She sounded great and I drove about 10 miles, then it started missing and stalled. I managed to get it back puffing black smoke.
When it's cold, it runs fine, but as soon as it gets hot, it starts with the black smoke and missing and eventually dies.
I've tested and retested the tps and afm. If I hold the afm open all the way it will run but I don't think that's the issue as it tests fine.
When the afm engages the fuel pump relay, it starts hissing near the fuel pressure regulator (with engine off). Is that normal or maybe a leak? Also, the is a gurgling noise coming from inside my throttle body. Tb is clean but I have not pulled all hoses to check for clogs.
It seems like the cold start injector could be leaking as it feels like I'm choking the engine, but I don't know if it's capable of that.
Any ideas?
o2 sensor is less than a year old and tests good. Replaced coil and igniter (cause of the spark error)
Thanks!
Old 08-09-2017, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I should add all plugs are fouling black. That rules out injector leak right?
Old 08-14-2017, 08:02 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I wouldn't rule them out....

http://www.google.com/m/search?=clie...61%75%73%65%73

Problem is gonna depend on what your plugs are fouled with....fuel, oil, carbon, or other deposits...

From what I understand, black smoke typically means your engine is running rich...too much fuel is entering somehow and not getting through combustion...