Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

factory tacoma e-locker

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
factory tacoma e-locker

ok so heres my question this may be stupid to some people but im just now looking into this e-locker stuff seems pretty sick.... sooo i have an 87 4runner with 4.10 gears and i was wanting to put an e-locker in the rear end.... wellll i found one but its the whole thirdmember out of a tacoma with 4.10 gears my question is could i install this into my 4runner and hook up a switch???? or am i just making a fool out of myself and making you guys laugh by even asking this? lol
Old 10-09-2008, 04:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have leaf springs, so yes, you can install it. It is about 2 inches wider than your axle. The park cable comes from the wrong side.

We have a '04 Taco axle under my son's 85 (5 inches wider than his OE axle) He has not resolved the park brake yet, but its because he hasn't tried. He put on 2" spacers on both sides of the front axle.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:34 PM

well its the actual thirdmember not the whole axle assembly... just the thirdmemeber... would it fit in my current axle? my guess is prob not... and how hard is it to install an e-locker in my current axle if it is not possible?
Old 10-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I believe the 3rd's will interchange.... but it's not that easy.

You'll have to mod your existing axle housing and the wiring is far from simple. But it can be done.

Some links I have found:
http://carterswebsite.com/4runner/mods/locker/

http://www.sonoransteel.com/phong/re...ic_locker.html

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/electric_locker/

http://home.off-road.com/~kemanuel/elocker/elocker.html
Old 10-10-2008, 01:01 AM

Yes it will fit with some grinding, no it's not that hard, and no it's not a stupid question. There are several ways to wire the elocker. I put TRD elockers front and rear in my 85 and wired them with an FZJ80 ECU and switch:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f115...switch-155297/

You could use relays, you could also buy a kit from either inchworm.com or 12voltguy.com. You could also follow my write-up and use a Tacome or 4Runner ECU and switch from a year where the rear elocker was a factory option (1997-2001??).

Good luck.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:38 AM

what exactly is the cheapest most efficient way to lock your axle? front and/or rear? i know welding the rear end is an option but i have no welding expirience everything else i can do. what about manual lockers in the rear? those are possible right? The reason i ask is the e-locker seems to be a bit of work and money... im just trying to get some opinions anything helps!!! thanks war for your input.

Last edited by 874runner; 10-11-2008 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:56 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 874runner
what exactly is the cheapest most efficient way to lock your axle? front and/or rear?
You can not use "cheap" and "locker" in the same sentence.

i know welding the rear end is an option but i have no welding experience.
Welding is the cheapest... but a full time locker is not the best on a DD. In the front it can be a lot worse. Welding is best kept to trail only rigs on a budget.

what about manual lockers in the rear? those are possible right?
What is a "manual" real locker? Selectable perhaps... like ARB or E-Locker?

The reason i ask is the e-locker seems to be a bit of work and money... im just trying to get some opinions anything helps!!! thanks war for your input.
Lockers cost a fair amount of money and will take some time to install. There is no way around it. There is also no way around what a locker can do to improve your vehicles performance off road. This is one of those upgrades that you just have to pay to play.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:14 PM

thank you very much. that pretty much sums it up haha. i have to dish out some cash....

now if i welded the front end. it would only be working when i engage the 4wd so how could that be bad? it would be just on the trail...

the manual rear locker is what i assumed was a manual locker.... ive seen them on rigs they have hubs in the rear to turn and lock... maybe i just dont have a clue what i am talking about haha what is it though?

Last edited by 874runner; 10-13-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:26 PM

thank you very much. that pretty much sums it up haha. i have to dish out some cash....

now if i welded the front end. it would only be working when i engage the 4wd so how could that be bad? it would be just on the trail...

the manual rear locker is what i assumed was a manual locker.... ive seen them on rigs they have hubs in the rear to turn and lock... maybe i just dont have a clue what i am talking about haha what is it though?

Because by welding it, you are not allowing the wheels to turn independantly of each other. They both have to turn the same speed.

This is not good for driving on the road.

Remeber, putting it into 4WD only puts power to the front wheels. They are still engaged to the front diff 24/7.

So you could say good-bye to turns over 10 MPH
Old 10-13-2008, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by EvaMonky
Because by welding it, you are not allowing the wheels to turn independantly of each other. They both have to turn the same speed.

This is not good for driving on the road.

Remeber, putting it into 4WD only puts power to the front wheels. They are still engaged to the front diff 24/7.

So you could say good-bye to turns over 10 miles per hour
Unless that is, if he has manual hubs. Then he could disengage the front wheels while on the street. Although doing so would make using 4wd on the street very difficult. If it is a trail rig it may not be that bad of an idea. But if you DD it then I wouldnt recomend it. Especially if you need 4wd on the street during winter.
A welded front will also make turning difficult
Old 10-13-2008, 10:51 PM
Contributing Member

The only time I am familiar with manual locking hubs being on the rear of a Toyota is with the installation of the FROR full floater kit:

http://frontrangeoffroadfab.com/nfos...7c4d785f207023

You can run the selectable hubs that way if you wish. I think people turn them off or on if they break an axle or are trying to flat tow the vehicle.

That said... such a kit has nothing to do with "locking" the rear diff, which is what you want to do to improve traction.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:33 PM

Unless that is, if he has manual hubs. Then he could disengage the front wheels while on the street. Although doing so would make using 4wd on the street very difficult. If it is a trail rig it may not be that bad of an idea. But if you DD it then I wouldnt recomend it. Especially if you need 4wd on the street during winter.
A welded front will also make turning difficult
yes i have warn golds. i usually only use my 4wd when wheeling. very rarely do we get enough snow here in portland to even need it last winter i drove all over in 2wd when it snowed but i have pretty good tires lol.

You can run the selectable hubs that way if you wish. I think people turn them off or on if they break an axle or are trying to flat tow the vehicle.

That said... such a kit has nothing to do with "locking" the rear diff, which is what you want to do to improve traction.
im not too familiar with any of that... but on a wheeling trip some time ago there was a wrangler with manual locking hubs on his front and rear axles. and he said he had a locker in the rear??
Old 10-14-2008, 06:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you already have the third, and its the same gear ratio, you're almost there! I just recently installed one into my 87, and its the BEST money I have spent on the truck. The one i got had to be re-geared ($$$$) I took the 'low-pressure' path, and bought another housing ($100) and did the mod to it, then swapped it into the truck on a Saturday. The wiring harness is fun to make too. There's several good threads on several boards, not hard to find... I also put a lockrite into the front, and yeah, makes it hard to steer. I can ride a lot with just the rear locked, and then just lock the fronts when the trail looks scary....