Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

deck plate mod

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 07:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's true...if you really don't want them to know about the deckplate, just cut a hole in the airbox and attach a piece of window screen to it and you're done, just don't cross any deep water or anything.

I'm only 18 and I've had a bank account since I was 14 and a Debit Card since I was 15, it's a really good idea to do it as soon as you can, just my $.02.

Good luck man!

Fink
Old 11-13-2005, 07:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
I'm only 18 and I've had a bank account since I was 14 and a Debit Card since I was 15, it's a really good idea to do it as soon as you can, just my $.02.

Good luck man!

Fink
I second that. Virtually all banks have free checking accounts for students! just go in with one of your parents and open up one!
Old 11-13-2005, 07:30 PM

thanks guys. Local i think ill try looking around but thanks for the offer. not sure what a amsoil filter is so probably not plannin on changing my filter.

but Local if i cant find one would it be possible for me to send cash instead of a check.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 99SR5
thanks guys. Local i think ill try looking around but thanks for the offer. not sure what a amsoil filter is so probably not plannin on changing my filter.

but Local if i cant find one would it be possible for me to send cash instead of a check.
yea. how far are you from Tysons Corner? Ill be going home from Richmond thanksgiving weekend and I could pick one up for you if u want to meet me in Tysons Corner. Id sugget you changing the air filter to an amsoil or True Flow, i believe its apart of the mod
Old 11-13-2005, 11:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i would but im only 17. i dont have a credit card or a debit card so i would have to use my parents card and i really dont want them to know about it

as crappy as you will feel by watching everyone have fun modding their vehicles and/or reading about what everyone is doing here, you should be eternally grateful that your folks provided you with such a nice vehicle. DON'T BE A CHARLES WENZEL!

so if you think they are going to be mad by modding it, respect their wishes until you can make your own money and pay for those mods yourself, alrighty?

bob

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 11-13-2005 at 11:39 PM.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5

as crappy as you will feel by watching everyone have fun modding their vehicles and/or reading about what everyone is doing here, you should be eternally grateful that your folks provided you with such a nice vehicle. DON'T BE A WENZEL.

so if you think they are going to be mad by modding it, respect their wishes until you can make your own money and pay for those mods yourself, alrighty?

bob
ROFL!!!! you used Wenzel as an adjective! Man, that woke me up b/c it was hilarious! now im going to have to get sleepy all over again and its already 3:42 in the A.M.!
Old 11-14-2005, 01:31 AM
Contributing Member

Wouldn't the gain be very minimal for a stock 3.4...

Most of you guys that have dyno'd it have extentive engine mods which utilizes the increased airflow more efficiently thus leading to increased hp... I doubt the gains for a stock 3.4 would be anywhere near the gains that a SC 3.4 would have.

I did however try it out and ended up cutting a hole in mine. I will probably end up doing the ISR mod later on.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:12 AM
Contributing Member

An SC'd Runner might see bigger gains but the 6-8whp is gained on the stock motors and for the time,money and effort it's a cheap gain and starting with only 183 crankhorse then adding another 10 crankhorse IMO is very much worth the $15 I spent.
Probably not worth it to your average driver but the modding bug takes over in some of us and we can't resist a proven mod even if it's just a few ponies but it is real ponies.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by grimpy
Wouldn't the gain be very minimal for a stock 3.4...

Most of you guys that have dyno'd it have extentive engine mods which utilizes the increased airflow more efficiently thus leading to increased hp... I doubt the gains for a stock 3.4 would be anywhere near the gains that a SC 3.4 would have.
My dyno sheet is from before the S/C.

The 3.4L is well known to be starved for air - that blasted "elbow" between the airbox and the fender is HORRID. Open up the air box, and the engine can get all the air it wants. The ECU sees more air, adds more fuel in response, and you get more power.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:22 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Roadtripr
You could just open your airbox, as Bachamen suggest is this thread:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...e+open+air+box

and see if you find any difference.

save your money. hide it from your parents. just open the top of the air filter box and flip the lid back and leave it open. same effect. FREE. reversable. undetectable. takes all of 5 seconds to do it and about 2 to reverse it back to "stock"...

instead of spending $15 for 6 HP and take an hour to get a deckplate and install it, spend NOTHING and get the same 6 HP in about 5 seconds...

Old 11-14-2005, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by bamachem
save your money. hide it from your parents. just open the top of the air filter box and flip the lid back and leave it open. same effect. FREE. reversable. undetectable. takes all of 5 seconds to do it and about 2 to reverse it back to "stock"...
Just make sure to bring a C-clamp along to clamp the air filter against the back of the box.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:52 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my OEM filter "snaps" in to the back of the box. my amsoil wedges in there so tight that it's tough to get out sometimes...

besides, when you stomp on it, the vacuum is HUGE and pulls the filter against the back of the box anyway even if it does lean out some, but it needs to be seated at all times if possible...

Last edited by bamachem; 11-14-2005 at 05:53 AM.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:09 AM
Contributing Member

The stock filters get clamped pretty securely, mine would get stuck a lot of times...if it were me, I would just flip open the lid and leave it that way for a while and see if you notice a difference, if you do and don't like the idea of leaving the lid open, do the deckplate later on when you get the money/time and don't mind telling your parents about it...if you don't notice a difference, close her up and your done.

Just my $.02,

Fink
Old 11-14-2005, 07:49 AM

I have had mine open for a week or so. I am too lazy to drive to the boat shop to get a deckplate, but I eventually will.... Mainly for looks and discussion at work.

I love the deep throaty sound when you kick down the pedal.... I havent noticed MPG gains yet...but will watch closely.

The biggest change for more power is upgrading gas octaine. Since the gas prices have been dropping I have been putting 89 or 91 octaine in instead of 87. Runs much better!
Old 11-14-2005, 08:42 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bamachem
my OEM filter "snaps" in to the back of the box. my amsoil wedges in there so tight that it's tough to get out sometimes...
The OEMs have a plastic frame so they tend to stay put no problem but my Amsoil has a foam edge so it doesn't stay in place nearly as well. I would definately be using a clamp on the Amsoil if I were to do it that way instead of the deckplate.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by TRDOLMAN
Hell Jackson---You are running 33" tires and 3:90 gears! Your gearing is so tall you probably couldn't tell if it made 25 HP difference!!

Like Mark, I also have a dyno sheet that says 7HP difference. It does make a difference.
I've had the deckplate a whole lot longer than I've had my 33s.

And I love spending money on stuff that only produces enough change for a computer to pick up.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:08 AM

If your just going to open the top, you might as well check out the Cheap ISR mod in the other tech section, and even the elbow mod for that matter (its totally free). It was about $20 for me to do both the deckplate and the ISR, it can be even cheaper if you dont paint the pvc caps to match the black tube. If you are just going to open the top a clamp is a must because you dont want all kinds of dirt and crap getting into your engine.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Localmotion
yea. how far are you from Tysons Corner? Ill be going home from Richmond thanksgiving weekend and I could pick one up for you if u want to meet me in Tysons Corner. Id sugget you changing the air filter to an amsoil or True Flow, i believe its apart of the mod
um how much would it be, im about 1/2 hour away from Tysons
Old 11-14-2005, 10:24 AM
Banned

i think the amsoils are around 40 ish as well as the True Flows. try www.burtmanindustries.com The deckplate should be more than 15 right guys?
Old 11-14-2005, 10:48 AM
Contributing Member

I will sell you my year old Amsoil air filter for $25

Quick Reply: deck plate mod